General Photoshop Questions: 8 vs 16 bit img, Color correction tool?

Started by baker7, December 16, 2015, 01:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baker7

Hey guys, do any of you use 8 bit or 16 bit images for plate making?  We make 27" x 39" image plates and I noticed all the files we get are 8 bits.  But the clients are so damn anal about their images and colors.  I don't know if 8 bit jpg is industry standard for apparel sublimation, but why don't they send us 16 bit images?  Would the file size be too large to work with?

Also for making color adjustments which tools do you guys use most?  I've been using Channel Mixer and have been consistently going over the 100% warning when making color corrections.  I just realized I shouldn't be doing this and I think this explains why some of the images that need massive color correction comes out very different on the plate, which then need further adjustment and new plates made.  Most of the color corrections can't be solved with curves cuz it's the individual colors and shades that are off in opposing directions as opposed to a simple shift in color or tone.

Best way I can come up with is separating the images of certain colors in layers and adjusting it that way.. using Channel Mixer.  I find that not going over the 100% warning is too difficult because I have to fiddle around and subtract the other channels (ex. MYK) to keep it at 100% while trying to adjust and match the target color (ex. C).  What would be a better or rather best way to do this?  Color Balance tool?  I tried Selective Color tool but it seems to encroach on colors that I don't want changed when adjusting a specific color, and it's doesn't seem too precise when I'm aiming to change one specific color or shade.  What can I use to just raise or lower a yellow spot by 2 percentage points for example without affecting anything else? 

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

our workflow won't take a 16 bit image...  but hey, we're special. 
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Adobe gives the creatives the tools to make it look like a million dollars and then it hits a high priced RIP at the printer, that btw is based on the ADOBE PDF Print Engine, that won't process it. Another fantastic job Adobe!

DCurry

For color correcting, I use Curves most of the time. To target specific colors I might use Selective Color. Sometimes you just have to make a selection, kinda like you're already doing by putting different elements on their own layers.

If you use Adjustment Layers, you can mask out the areas you don't want affected. For instance, if you only want to affect a certain area, add an adjustment layer of your choice (curves, for example) and do what needs to be done to get that color right while ignoring what is happening to the rest of your image. By default, an adjustment layer will have a mask attached to it. That mask will be white. Click on the mask in the layers palette, then invert it so now the mask is black - this will effectively hide the correction you made. Then use the paintbrush, set your foreground color to white and begin to brush over the area you want affected and your correction will appear in those areas as you brush it. In this way you can avoid making time-consuming selections and if you lower the opacity of the brush you can "sneak up on" your desired color gradually and keep smooth transitions, rather than harsh selections.

There still may be times when you need more specific selections, but you can still combine that technique with this. You can also keep adding adjustment layers and duplicate their masks to other adjustment layers (or group them and apply a mask to the group.)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

:goodpost:

DCurry may not be up on film and TV characters but he can drop some knowledge about PS.

Great info up there.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yes it is great info. I only wish I had a job where I could use it. It's pretty much 'slam, bam, thank you ma'am' around these parts anymore. I miss the days of correcting those full page and double truck ads in Cosmo where a screw up was a $40,000 uhoh.

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

I don't do a lot of correction anymore, but I get one job 3 times a year for a clothing company and we change the color builds on all the clothes to match approved swatch builds. It's a PITA, but I use almost every trick I know by the time it's done.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Ear

Right there with ya, Dan... I was learned in the ways of Curves, back in the early PS days. It is the best of the color correction tools. Also on board with selective color, then a final curve tweak. I'll do a round of RGB curves before converting to CMYK.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

baker7

Thanks guys for all the helpful response, especially DCurry! Finally some words of wisdom that's going to totally help me out.  You guys are so lucky you don't have to do intensive color correction for every single job!

Farabomb

I'd take come color correction instead of shit in, shit out.  :undecided:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Ear