Indesign trapping

Started by Tracy, May 28, 2008, 05:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Im getting it but... How about a little hint on #20, still yet to do some others.
i put a 1pt stroke and made the black grey for viewing, make sure overprint preview is on.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Make a skinny white knock-out of the black, place skinny white knock-out between black and magenta, set the black to overprint. Idea is to make the magenta Choke the black.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Here are the final answers to the trap test. Use the techniques you know, and that have been explained prior to make the test look like the attached. I am currently working on a "walk through" of the final answers, so if you are having trouble you can compare. Next will be InDesign itself. I have been very busy, so sorry for the holdup! Hang in there, it's coming soon.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

ive been reading the cs3 manual, and found in the trapping section it says built in trapping cannot trap placed vector eps graphics. Im having a problem with a file with a placed eps and a grayscale PS image on top. Is the solution creating a pdf or ai file for the eps? just wondering if anybody encounters this.

Tracy

Hey dcs, i just saw that you posted the rest of the answers cool! and thanks

DigitalCrapShoveler

You will have to trap the placed eps in Illustrator. It is hard to convey directions for something I can't see, but look at the outside edge of the placed eps, does it need to choke or spread to the background? If the background is indeed gray, 70% or less screen value, I would choke the image and overprint the outer edge, IF it is darker in density than the BG. A lot of "IFs", but you should know if you completed the trap tutorial. You may need to create a white knockout in Illustrator placed all the way behind everything. Does that make sense? If you need the spread the outer edge of the graphic, then make a stroke set to OP in AI. Visualize the graphic placed on top the background, and do what you need to do in AI to accommodate it for trap. Follow?
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

I think I can do it in illustrator! Its a swirly image with a grayscale photo on top, i was thinking making a box a bit smaller than the image create a clipping mask and overprint the image with the swirls.
oh wait that might not work, yes i need a knockout. and then overprint.

DigitalCrapShoveler

There you go... thinking outside the bun. You're getting it.
Member #285 - Civilian