Spot colours and process Export

Started by frailer, August 12, 2008, 05:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

I'm a relative newcomer to this stuff, and am sure I'm missing something really obvious and simple. All my swatch colours in an incoming job show the process icon.
I Exported to PDF, for use in Dynastrip. I assumed, [cross that one out of the dictionary], that I'd get all-process PDFs.
Got process+Spot. I let the RIP look after it, in this inst....the Black Magics look fine, but it's not what I was planning.

Can someone gimme the D'Oh! on this one, please... :rolleyes:

See screenshot/jpeg.

...and if someone tells me I forgot to "Save", I'll just go ahead and slash me wrists... :lipsrsealed:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

"you forgot....."

well first in the lil drop down menu in the colours/colors pallette select "select all unused" and hit the bin button at bottom of pallette - this'll get shot of any colours/colors not used.

IF it remains then there's something using it.

IF that something is an indesign element, double click on the colour in the colours/colors pallette and change from spot to process

IF it is use in a graphic somewhere you will probably need to open the graphic, change the colour there, and re-save - update link - select unused colour - bin - wallop - you should get the process icon next to the colour/color.

phew :cheesy:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

David

am I missing something?
the 871 in your screen shot is a spot color, it's just made from a cmyk build. See the little square with the circle in the center of it to the left of the cmyk square? That's a spot color indicator.
You should be getting cmyk + 871 from this file.
If you don't want the spot color, change it from spot to process in the widow you have in your screen shot. If it still comes over, then it's in a linked graphic file and will need to be changed there as well.

did I get it right?

HTH,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

yep - thats how i read it - hence my details on how to get shot of it

how long now til the thread jack?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: david on August 12, 2008, 07:30:52 AMam I missing something?
the 871 in your screen shot is a spot color, it's just made from a cmyk build. See the little square with the circle in the center of it to the left of the cmyk square? That's a spot color indicator.
You should be getting cmyk + 871 from this file.
If you don't want the spot color, change it from spot to process in the widow you have in your screen shot. If it still comes over, then it's in a linked graphic file and will need to be changed there as well.

I am of this opinion as well. Capitan, are we missing something here?
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

yeah but i wanna see the thread jack - i heard it's good

PrepressCrapFixer

You can fix this during the export too by accessing the ink manager (on the Output tab) and checking on "All Spots to Process." 
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Lukas

One note on the subject, sort of half off topic but maybe some of you are iinterested anyway.

If you import an eps or PDF with the wrong definition you will have to ridd all files with that colour before you can redefine it.
Say you import a file where the customer has a spotcolour "RED" but the process definition is green. All art with the spot colour "RED" will be green, irrespective if they are red green or yellow, whatever.

It will be less apparent if you import a document that has had incorrect colourmanagement. ie Pantone 116 C  with contaminations of cyan and black in the first placed file.
Place another 20 files and you will have fun trying to be the detective. You see the definition is wrong, but it is locked and you cannot edit it. 

David

Quote from: beermonster on August 12, 2008, 08:39:37 AMyeah but i wanna see the thread jack - i heard it's good

here you go

new & improved pirate thread jack alert! with 20% more sparkle added!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Thanks for the look-up guys. I'm on me Pat Malone this week, so draggin a broom tucked in me pants... :laugh:  [could put this less politely].

No, I suspect I'm missing something.    :rolleyes:   The answer, I'm sure, will be too simple to contemplate. Off to InDes Users' Group seminar thingy tonight...maybe after a couple of beers and some good nosh there something'll "wash over me".    :cheesy:   ...or not.

I suspect this thread's ripe for a jack as everyone wait's for me to catch up.     :tongue:

Off to the coalface now...

...how could I not have seen this drop-down. Because I saw CMYK, I guess. Only thing I can think of. Sure won't forget it.    :embarrassed:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.