Type on a path with distortion

Started by David, September 03, 2020, 03:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

anybody got a clue how to do this?

Inner portion near the center is pinched leaving the outer portion un-pinched.

TIA
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

scottrsimons

I remember having a special app that would do that for you back in the day, when I worked on a SE/30, I think it was called "Type Styler". But I'm sure it could be done in Illustrator now. But don't know how off-hand.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Still have the Type Styler box in the "really old software that we can't run anymore but we keep because we're afraid to throw anything away" closet. And yes it could do all kinds of neat type tricks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

Joe, now the hoarder question, do you have a computer that will still run it?  :popcorn:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

No. Hence the "really old software that we can't run anymore" part of the closet name. :rotf:

Joe

That closet also still has the original box and CD for Suitcase for Mac OS8.

Skryber

Quote from: david on September 03, 2020, 03:16:12 PM

TIA

I don't know if it's the best way but you can use the Arc effect at 100% instead of typing on a path. Then bring down your vertical distortion. And just do opposite for the bottom half.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

born2print

I think Kai's Power Tools may have helped too, but Photoshop plug-in. That was fun software.... that we can't run anymore  8)
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Tracy

Skyrber got skills!

I fumble around with type on a circle

David

Quote from: Skryber on September 04, 2020, 09:24:35 AM

I don't know if it's the best way but you can use the Arc effect at 100% instead of typing on a path. Then bring down your vertical distortion. And just do opposite for the bottom half.

You win the Golden Rocket Pony!!!

this works very well.
Thanks for your help!!

DRINKS ON ME!!!

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DPSprint

Quote from: Skryber on September 04, 2020, 09:24:35 AM

TIA

handy to know... will stick that somewhere in my brain for future reference!

DigiCorn

TIA
There used to be a plugin for Illustrator called, "Envelopes," but I think Adobe bought the company and incorporated the tools. What Skryber showed is just what Envelopes would do... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KPHYfDVq_0
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Skryber

There's Envelope Distortion but I couldn't get it to work right. I don't know if that's the same as what you're talking about.

DigiCorn

It's pretty much a yes. Back in the day, it was an extension you could buy and add on to Illy. But at some point Adobe bought the company and incorporated most functions as standard. There used to be a functional demo on the Illy install CD.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway