Working with Font Explorer

Started by jezza, September 09, 2007, 01:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: david on June 06, 2012, 03:12:58 PMI have our base fonts as a set named "start up" and are always on, so they are left alone and any other fonts are added as a "temp". All of my guys have been trained to not jack with the stuff I set up.

I tend to get angry.

Sounds like me and my Acrobat toolbar. Fur flies if anyone changes it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

if I ran the dept. it would be a rule that would be enforced. The person who does run the department doesn't enforce any rules that are not a direct annoyance to him.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

you bet, oh, could you hurry with those plates.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Cleaning up my fonts.
I have some fonts I always leave in there
but the job specific fonts I remove when done
but a lot of those fonts are still in the library,
most of the file path shows that they are missing.

So my question is why are they still there when I remove them?
I right click and remove set and contained fonts

could it be I need to deactivate before removing?

DigiCorn

I don't like fonts in my library - uses up too many resources and slows things down. Did you try this (after deactivating)? (see screenshot)
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

youston

Quote from: Tracy on August 01, 2012, 10:06:59 AMCleaning up my fonts.
I have some fonts I always leave in there
but the job specific fonts I remove when done
but a lot of those fonts are still in the library,
most of the file path shows that they are missing.

So my question is why are they still there when I remove them?
I right click and remove set and contained fonts

could it be I need to deactivate before removing?

Are you removing them from the sets, or are you removing them from the library itself? FEX sets work a lot like iTunes playlists (or placed images in InDesign). The fonts listed there are just references to fonts in the library.

DigiCorn

Just another thought, but you'll have to reboot afterwards...

You can always run the cleaning tools, specifically the cache.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Thanks for the iTunes analogy Youston! it helps :laugh:

I will check out the clean Manage folder, thanks Diggy!

youston

Quote from: Tracy on August 01, 2012, 01:57:52 PMThanks for the iTunes analogy Youston! it helps :laugh:

I will check out the clean Manage folder, thanks Diggy!

You know I live ONLY to serve YOU, Tracy.  :kiss:

Tracy

frailer

Our incomings are so PDF'y these days that I don't use FEX that much. Any fonts that don't auto-activate as fonts in the 'Document Fonts' folder I drop into the Indy 'Fonts' folder. Used to be a bit obsessed with FEX.  :shrug:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

good to know there is another option
yeah, sometimes they don't auto activate, huh?

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on August 01, 2012, 02:04:27 PMOur incomings are so PDF'y these days that I don't use FEX that much. Any fonts that don't auto-activate as fonts in the 'Document Fonts' folder I drop into the Indy 'Fonts' folder. Used to be a bit obsessed with FEX.  :shrug:
Same here.  :goodpost:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

I've been doing the "document fonts" thing for a while as well. Don't have to do anything, just double click to open the ID file and forget the fonts!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca