Working with Font Explorer

Started by jezza, September 09, 2007, 01:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Linotype Font Explorer by a mile...and the free one still works fine for me.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

same here, I use it exclusively, don't matter which Mac either  (Intel, Power PC, etc).

Oh, and FREE all the way!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

We bought Fusion, but had too many issues and abandoned it in favor of FEX (free version) on regular Leopard 10.5.8 here. Fusion Pro does not play nicely with Suitcase Fusion, but no issues with FEX.

Ironically, the 'q' doesn't play nice with FEX, so I have to quit out and launch SF for use exclusively with the 'q.' Lucky for me it doesn't happen that often; just 3 times this year.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

FEX hands down. Free version here.

Yes, it does have issues with q but you can get it to work with a little hand holding.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

jimking

I'm thinking I can not migrate Explorer from the G4 to the Power mac. Can you still download the free version?

Joe

Quote from: jimking on December 20, 2011, 12:06:34 PMI'm thinking I can not migrate Explorer from the G4 to the Power mac. Can you still download the free version?

You can copy it from one to the other as long as you copy everything...prefs. font db, fonts etc...

But I have the installer if you need/want it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: jimking on December 20, 2011, 12:06:34 PMI'm thinking I can not migrate Explorer from the G4 to the Power mac. Can you still download the free version?
I posted it here --> http://www.sendspace.com/file/5z97z6
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Quote from: Joe on December 20, 2011, 12:24:06 PM

You can copy it from one to the other as long as you copy everything...prefs. font db, fonts etc...

But I have the installer if you need/want it.

As do I, I keep all my installers so I can replace or install anytime I need.
As Martha would say ...  "it's a good thing"...
Livin' la Vida Loca

jimking

Thanks all! Thanks for the download Digi. I got it up and rolling.  :grin:

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on December 20, 2011, 12:24:06 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 20, 2011, 12:06:34 PMBut I have the installer if you need/want it.

I think we all do that... don't we?

Quote from: jimking on December 20, 2011, 01:54:20 PMThanks all! Thanks for the download Digi. I got it up and rolling.  :grin:
No problemo
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 20, 2011, 02:11:08 PM
Quote from: david on December 20, 2011, 12:24:06 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 20, 2011, 12:06:34 PMBut I have the installer if you need/want it.

I think we all do that... don't we?

and we keep them next to our computer backups...   :ninja:
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Well, yeah, I'd love to open and use FEX, right now. GRRRRR.....>  :sad:

Sing 'No Reply'_Beatles-loud voice
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Our in house dezinger has decided that he needs to manually put in every job he works on some of our "base fonts" - a set we've decided should pretty much be always loaded. Not "system fonts". We then put the job fonts in a "temporary" set while working on the job.

If I work on a job he's done his little OCD thing with then remove the fonts from "temporary" it also removes these fonts from "base fonts" set and pisses me off to no end. Since I can't seem to communicate with him that his stupid solution to whatever imagined problem he was having is no solution, does anyone know how to protect these "base fonts" from being removed?

I don't care if they get deactivated, just very sick of dragging them back into fex every time I work on a job he's messed with.

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on June 06, 2012, 02:09:25 PMOur in house dezinger has decided that he needs to manually put in every job he works on some of our "base fonts" - a set we've decided should pretty much be always loaded. Not "system fonts". We then put the job fonts in a "temporary" set while working on the job.

If I work on a job he's done his little OCD thing with then remove the fonts from "temporary" it also removes these fonts from "base fonts" set and pisses me off to no end. Since I can't seem to communicate with him that his stupid solution to whatever imagined problem he was having is no solution, does anyone know how to protect these "base fonts" from being removed?

I don't care if they get deactivated, just very sick of dragging them back into fex every time I work on a job he's messed with.

Kill him.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

I have our base fonts as a set named "start up" and are always on, so they are left alone and any other fonts are added as a "temp". All of my guys have been trained to not jack with the stuff I set up.

I tend to get angry.
Livin' la Vida Loca