Spot colors not printing on plate

Started by scalver2000, July 27, 2009, 11:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: almaink on July 27, 2009, 01:18:04 PMWhere did the PDF he was sent come from as in what application made it? I've seen some pretty freaky stuff happen with PDF's, most were made on Windows boxes using subpar applications. I never do conversions in InDesign or Acrobat if I can help it, preferring to let my rip convert from spots to CMYK for consistency.  If you do it in Acrobat or InDesign or Quack your results will vary as each program uses a different lookup table to convert. That being said I've never seen or heard of this one happening before.

I never saw it being in his setup for 4 yrs.  You're correct about doing the conversions at the RIP but was never an issue to do it the way he's set up because MOST(90%) of his work comes from artists within the same overall company and are using Illy and Indesign and Photoshop CS3 to create their pdf's they send over, just depends on which artist works on it as to how they built it. 

I really think some of the settings in Trueflow need to be looked at, maybe even call Screen and tell a tech what its doing.

Steve mentioned to me on phone that he just upgraded from v5 to v6 of TF so, maybe a setting got changed somehow ..   I dont know..   it's very weird that the object disappears on plate but looks fine in the ripped softproof... 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

frailer

When you Export your PDF from Indesign, are you checking Ink Manager, (Output>Ink Mgr...in Export settings)? As in, "Convert all Spots to process"....as almaink alludes to...? Or, as is sometimes the case, converting each one individually in the list. Just thought that base should be covered.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

As others have stated...strange.

What exactly are the objects that he is trying to convert? For example if they are spots in an EPS file and you try changing it to process in the swatches pallet I could see some weird stuff happening. If they are native ID objects they should convert fine. Have him try what others have suggested and convert to process at export time using the ink manager and not by changing the colors in the swatches pallet.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

Sounds like TF is linking to the original PDF and not the RIPped file for output to the CTP but is using the RIPped PDF for the proofer.

Hmmm.

Can you test this by changing the spelling of a word or alter the position of an object?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on July 27, 2009, 06:15:07 PMAs others have stated...strange.

What exactly are the objects that he is trying to convert? For example if they are spots in an EPS file and you try changing it to process in the swatches pallet I could see some weird stuff happening. If they are native ID objects they should convert fine. Have him try what others have suggested and convert to process at export time using the ink manager and not by changing the colors in the swatches pallet.

JOE!!..  I think you may be on to something.  IF, in the original layout of the AD that the artist did, the object was placed as an .eps, then saved as a PDF, converting the spot in the swatches pallet might have done something weird...   

from what I know the "object" that vanished was just a simple black box..   maybe Steve can help describe better what it was, or even send the PDF to a few people.  I don't have Pitstop here at the house or I would have already offered to look at it. 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

scalver2000

The spot color "New Color Swatch 2" was what was missing. I did just change it in the swatches and not the Ink manager. The file is to large to post so if i can get a e-mail to send the file, it is 748kb i will send the file. I also have another file that is 7.9kb that has spot colors PANTONE 187 CHC and PANTONE 655 CHC in it. They were lost on the plate too. First time i have seen a pantone with CHC???

almaink

The only thing I could find on CHC is it's HP's color matching pantone system. It could be LAB based or use some other color mode and that may be the problem. No way of knowing without seeing the file tho. I tried entering PANTONE 655 CHC at Pantone's site only to find there is no such color.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

scalver2000

Whats the best way i can send you these 2 files? one 7.9kb and the other 748kb

Joe

It sounds like the "custom named " spot colors are not in the true flow spot color table and instead of throwing up an error it's just ignoring them. I'll take a look at the files if no one has tried yet. Email them to joe at b4print dot com.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

LoganBlade

Quote from: scalver2000 on July 28, 2009, 08:22:25 AMWhats the best way i can send you these 2 files? one 7.9kb and the other 748kb

Use you send it and share the link here?
"dyslexics have more fnu"

DigitalCrapShoveler

Those links are for deleting the file... send the OTHER link that allows us to download.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

I suppose I am confused on this. I opened both in Acrobat 8 and used Convert Colors on them. Worked like a charm. I then placed them into InDesign, NO extra colors came over, which is what I expected and sent the job through my RIP. No problems at all.
Member #285 - Civilian

scalver2000

I did not convert the colors in Acrobat. I placed the original pdf in Indesign, then it import the spot colors, i went to swatches and made them CMYK, then exported pdf, it was CMYK when opened in Acrobat, sent it to TF, check softproof, everything was there, made plates, converted spot colors gone on plate.

When i converted the spots in Acrobat then imported to indesign everything worked fine.  I was just wondering why it did not work the other way.