News:

Main Menu

New Windows 10 PC

Started by G_Town, January 11, 2018, 12:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Not a bad decision. I don't usually worry too much when it says "factory refurbished" but twhen they only give you a 90 day warranty instead of one year like Apple does that bothers me.

The one at Amazon says about the video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics (3x Display Port, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI), Intel UHD Graphics 630

So according to that it says it has a DVI port also for a monitor. But the photos of the back of the PC do not show it. And it does say the graphics are dedicated which means it has its own GPU and RAM so it isn't stealing that from the system.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 23, 2018, 08:43:20 AMOrdered the PC! Thanks for all your help Joe!
somehow I didn't pay for shipping or tax, what the heck?

everyone else too! I reread the thread till I was confident enough to choose the PC.

That is cool! Taxes are a mystery to me at Amazon. Sometimes I get charged tax and sometimes I don't. Surprised you didn't get charged for shipping though if you don't have Prime. But good deal to you.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2018, 07:22:39 AMYep, getting this critter. Install is next Wednesday.

https://www.xante.com/enpress/
Good luck with that. My personal experiences with Xante over the past 18 years has been terse. They have good ideas, but the execution lacks. Of the 3 I've dealt with, they require constant babysitting.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2018, 08:51:58 AMNot a bad decision. I don't usually worry too much when it says "factory refurbished" but twhen they only give you a 90 day warranty instead of one year like Apple does that bothers me.

The one at Amazon says about the video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics (3x Display Port, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI), Intel UHD Graphics 630

So according to that it says it has a DVI port also for a monitor. But the photos of the back of the PC do not show it. And it does say the graphics are dedicated which means it has its own GPU and RAM so it isn't stealing that from the system.
I didn't get the refurbished one, i got the new one from Amazon
kind of confusing that it has the graphics card and the UHD Graphics 630?
I haven't purchased the monitor yet, maybe today cyber monday, don't see any price difference from yesterday tho.

what's a dvi port?, I should get the HDMI monitor right?

DigiCorn

DVI is old school HD, but no sound; you need to run a separate audio cable. HDMI has sound.

Like I said before, I do have 2 DVI monitors I'll sell cheap. 21" Dell and 22" LG.

Quote from: Tracy on November 26, 2018, 11:50:22 AMkind of confusing that it has the graphics card and the UHD Graphics 630?

It makes sense that if it has an integrated video card, and then a separate video card. Usually the integrated ones don't have any oomph.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 26, 2018, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2018, 07:22:39 AMYep, getting this critter. Install is next Wednesday.

https://www.xante.com/enpress/
Good luck with that. My personal experiences with Xante over the past 18 years has been terse. They have good ideas, but the execution lacks. Of the 3 I've dealt with, they require constant babysitting.

My involvement is with the install of the software to the Windows PC. After that it is Jenn's problem. ;D

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 26, 2018, 11:50:22 AM
Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2018, 08:51:58 AMNot a bad decision. I don't usually worry too much when it says "factory refurbished" but twhen they only give you a 90 day warranty instead of one year like Apple does that bothers me.

I didn't get the refurbished one, i got the new one from Amazon
kind of confusing that it has the graphics card and the UHD Graphics 630?
I haven't purchased the monitor yet, maybe today cyber monday, don't see any price difference from yesterday tho.

what's a dvi port?, I should get the HDMI monitor right?

When you get the PC take a picture of the ports on the back and post it here so we can see what you have. The HHD Graphics 630 should be ports built onto the motherboard while the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics (3x Display Port, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI)" should be a separate card unless it means the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics (3x Display Port, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI)" is built onto the board. Even if that is the case it is still a dedicated graphics device that has its own GPU and RAM so it should be good either way.

DVI cable looks like this:

[attach width=300]19182[/attach]

While HDMI cable looks like this:

[attach width=300]19184[/attach]

HDMI is best as digi says.

Some monitors have VGA and DVI, some have VGA and HDMI. A few might have all three. The ones with HDMI probably cost more than those with just DVI.

Tracy

went through the specs, looks like it has an hdmi port and a dvi port, going with hdmi
and looks like it has a graphics card and the graphics thingy on the motherboard
I will take a pic of it when it comes in free shipping so may take awhile

Tracy

Joooee!
reread the thread and i noticed that you had a suggestion for Monitor based on the graphics card
knowing the graphics card I'm getting do I need to be mindful of the resolution of the monitor?

Joe

1920 x 1080 minimum which is high def. If you are spoiled by 5K on your Mac bring your big check book.  ;D

4K is 3840 × 2160.

5K is 5120 × 2880.

Really 4K or 5K is overkill if the software you are using doesn't support it.

AutoCAD System Requirements

1360 x 768 display resolution with True Color.

Sounds like it does not support 4K or 5K so go with 1920 x1080.

Tracy

Thanks Joe!
I'm already $500 over so I'm going cheap as I can
sorry hubby! :laugh:

Joe

I would not go with the minimum of 1360 x 768 display resolution.

You will quickly regret it.

Tracy

I will try and get the highest I can get that is not 4K or 5K!
I should of got it on Cyber Monday but oh well, didn't see any price difference
from sunday to monday anyway.

Times are getting busy, glad I got the computer done!

Joe

If you have time sign up for the newegg email blast. They have daily sales that are only available to subscribers usually with discount codes to use. Often I can find monitors in the 22" - 24" range that go to 1920 x 1080 for under $100. Usually around $89 fora 22" or $99 for a 23" or 24". I would not go below 22" @ 1920 x 1080.

Tracy

I signed up for the emails got 1!
I will check the settings again