News:

Main Menu

PDL? XPS? WTF?

Started by tapdn, October 18, 2007, 07:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

Anyone have any scoop on Micro$oft's effort to introduce their own flavor of PDF from Punisher docs called PDL?
http://app.subscribermail.com/dspcd.cfm?ec=fb8cb76960cb48628b0ff53c33025f7a&;
email=6c7bd6ccbcde48b1a18887e96237120b
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

I think PDL is the language but the file it creates is XPS. You have the option to export a Publisher file as an XPS file or a PDF if you download the separate software for it. I still think it's more of an "office" tool until the major RIP manufacturers support it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

"I still think it's more of an "office" tool until the major RIP manufacturers support it."
Yeah Joe, but knowing my customers it won't be long befor we start receiving jobs created as PDL instead of PDF. How will we handle these in a PDF workflow? Is there trouble on the horizon?
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

I'd probably print to PS and then distill into a PDF.

XPS Viewer
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

My point, Joe. Windoze only app. but I get what you mean. thanx
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Laurens

http://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/xps

Acrobat 8 can open XPS files which can then be saved as PDF. Expect all major vendors to add support in their workflow within the next year or two years. Global Graphics are behind XPS and already support it right now.

VIGC, a Belgian trade association, did some tests with XPS and discovered major bugs in XPS files generated from PowerPoint and some other apps. There is still a lot of work to be done before this is as reliable as PDF.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

ninjaPB_43

Nice P4Fun, great info there!!   

"XPS is closely linked to the Microsoft Vista operating system"

I assume it means Vista has to gain some ground on XP boxes in the marketplace before we really start to see these file types regularly..  last I checked, Windows had started giving people the choice of XP or Vista when buying a new machine, versus only selling installed Vista on new boxes.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Laurens

Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on November 14, 2007, 08:10:32 AMNice P4Fun, great info there!!   

"XPS is closely linked to the Microsoft Vista operating system"

I assume it means Vista has to gain some ground on XP boxes in the marketplace....

That is correct and indeed a problem for Microsoft. Vista is getting a bad reputation and the adoption of the OS is slower then Microsoft's marketing department wants us to believe.

Off-topic: if I had known beforehand that Printing4fun would be abbreviated to Pee-for-fun, I would have chosen another nick   :-[

Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Printing4fun on November 14, 2007, 11:05:00 AMThat is correct and indeed a problem for Microsoft. Vista is getting a bad reputation and the adoption of the OS is slower then Microsoft's marketing department wants us to believe.

Yep, Vista has proven itself to be a worthless upgrade for most users, it all started when it had crash problems at a Bill Gates Demo..   hee hee..  (i bet that is on youtube somewhere)  classic Windows comedy..   HERE it is...    :ninja:

Quote from: Printing4fun on November 14, 2007, 11:05:00 AMOff-topic: if I had known beforehand that Printing4fun would be abbreviated to Pee-for-fun, I would have chosen another nick   :-[

hahha..  I didnt even notice when I typed it..   funny..   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley