How easy/difficult is it to set up a new plate size in DynaStrip?

Started by Fontaholic, August 26, 2015, 08:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on August 27, 2015, 11:27:55 AMSo is your shop at a standstill right now since you can't make plates?

Naaah -- we still have the decrepit, temperamental Itek camera, plus the Xerox digital color press...

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Fontaholic

So I got in this morning after the usual "not being in on Friday because there's not enough work for you", and guess what's not going to be here today after all...?

Cheers,

Farabomb

Friday I had to help out the place that was making my plates. Seems their RIP went down and they needed me to make 1 bit tiffs for them so they can plates. I had to figure out how to change plate size, make sure they had the correct setback and make the tiff read right. It wasn't impossible, just took some reading and some educated guesses.

Then again it's a different system...

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

As a temporary work-around, we're just going to have this place run the plates we need on the press plates they use for their press and the pressman is going to cut them down to the size he needs.

This didn't stop him from having a hissy fit upon learning that the plates weren't coming today, mind...

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3;

Ear

I've had to run plates and cut them down for another shop before. I used the bindery guillotine cutter and charged the other place a blade sharpening fee too.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Fontaholic

Quote from: Ear on August 31, 2015, 09:30:59 AMI've had to run plates and cut them down for another shop before. I used the bindery guillotine cutter and charged the other place a blade sharpening fee too.

Our guy uses the hand-operated paper cutter we've got here (think of a super-sized version of the one schools used to use.

I can never get a straight cut on that thing, but somehow he can...

Cheers,

Farabomb

Straight edge and a box cutter. Takes a few passes but makes a clean cut.

I see your boss has amazing forethought. Tack on messed up plates, longer makeready times because of misregistration and the hassle of having a clueless person making your plates.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Yes, the box cutter works well for a plate or two but not a stack. I had to burn and cut 50 plates, and they are 34x36" size. I found cutting 25 at a time worked well. I think the cutter would've handled more but I didn't want to push it. Would not want to hand cut a sleeve of plates.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Our pressmen did it for 8 months. If they even considered getting near the guillotine with those plates it would have started a war. The boss gets pissed if we cut chipboard on it.

Well, unless he needs the chipboard, then it's a different story.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Oh for sure. I hate doing it but it is just way too many plates to hand cut. Charge for a blade sharpening and it's all good.

Farabomb

I agree totally but we can't charge ourselves for a knife grind because we have a platemaker we don't feel like getting fixed.

I'm so glad the boss hasn't tried to sharpen the blade on the little one we have here.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

I had to make plates for another shop once, they had the same press as one of ours.
it was very frustrating when our shop was busy and theirs was too.
It only lasted about a month or so.

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Farabomb

My Olfa blades only leave my office in my hand. I made that clear the last time the boss grabbed it for some silly reason. Really didn't make sense as both him and I almost always have a knife on them and more in the general vicinity.

Today is the benchmade griptillian in the pocket, SOG vision II in the backpack and another 2 in the first aid/bugout bag next to me.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job