Locked PDF - for what it's worth

Started by Possum, November 12, 2008, 01:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

The one I used has password security for everything but printing. It was allowed. And this method took off security on everything.

However, I was using chrome on a PC and printing through PDF writer. I could see how the transparency thing could be an issue.

Joe

Even for opening? Because on my test file Chrome (on a mac) asked for the password before it would open it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, but like I said, it was on the PC, I don't have chrome on my Mac, only Firefox, and it wouldn't even load on Firefox, just remained a blank page.

Possum

Let's not get too successful. Don't want the custy's to get bright ideas about the locked proofs WE send THEM. You guys at big shops prolly don't have the problem of people trying to take proof files to other printers, but the smaller guys do.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Fat Boy Tim

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 03, 2018, 03:04:33 PMI still just use freemypdf.com

Thanks for the tip!

For years I have used PDFKEY.

-     https://pdfkey.com/en/

The free version does a page 1 of a PDF of any file size. The full version unlocks the whole lot and has Automator Actions to lock and unlock.

Fat Boy Tim

hotdog!

I went back to the PDFKEY site to see if they had any new features and found their sister product...

https://pdfextractor-app.com/en/

Now that's a utility!

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Fat Boy Tim on July 04, 2018, 03:45:13 PMhotdog!

I went back to the PDFKEY site to see if they had any new features and found their sister product...

Now that's a utility!

Very nice  :smiley:

Was fantasising about this being built in to InDesign only last week.  Make it happen Adobe !
Right now I do this by stripping out the pics with PhotoShop, Copy + Pasting the text in Acrobat which also identifies the fonts, and using Illustrator to isolate any vector items I might need.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: StudioMonkey on July 05, 2018, 03:13:49 AM
Quote from: Fat Boy Tim on July 04, 2018, 03:45:13 PMhotdog!

Now that's a utility!

Very nice  :smiley:

Was fantasising about this being built in to InDesign only last week.  Make it happen Adobe !
Right now I do this by stripping out the pics with PhotoShop, Copy + Pasting the text in Acrobat which also identifies the fonts, and using Illustrator to isolate any vector items I might need.

Wow, you really are a Studio Monkey!

wonderings

On a Mac I just open the PDF with preview then export as PDF. I get an unlocked PDF, never had it not work but it is not something I am dealing with every day.

pspdfppdfxhd

So in other words, Adobe's pdf security is not very secure at all.....

born2print

Nope.
Besides the websites, we have a free app called pdf unlock that works too.

I once freaked a bank dude out because I unlocked a contract pdf and added to it. He was blown away!
BUT YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!  :rotf:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Fat Boy Tim

Quote from: wonderings on July 06, 2018, 08:31:42 AMOn a Mac I just open the PDF with preview then export as PDF. I get an unlocked PDF, never had it not work but it is not something I am dealing with every day.

Yes... We did the same for years. It's an OSX bug from a while ago. Then they fixed it. Maybe it's come back.

Joe

Just be careful. OSX/Preview can butcher a PDF with transparency.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.