Input on Xerox 800 or Minolta 7000/8000

Started by Aaron, January 03, 2011, 09:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

We are researching these 2 presses (*cough... copiers) and was wondering if anyone has one of these and can comment on it's quality/reliability. Thanks all.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

I work with different models, but as I type this a refurbed KM is being set up in our shop and our Xerox is going on eBay. We've had terrible "customer service" from the big X and bossman wants to sever all ties with them 4-ever.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

I can ask my friend that used to work for Minolta about that copier. I remember him saying how some models are great and others are total crap. Xerox? In my experience and my reading here avoid them.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Aaron

Quote from: gnubler on January 03, 2011, 10:01:38 AMI work with different models, but as I type this a refurbed KM is being set up in our shop and our Xerox is going on eBay. We've had terrible "customer service" from the big X and bossman wants to sever all ties with them 4-ever.

what model Xerox are you canning? The Xerox guy told us the Minolta's have issues holding color. Thought?

Quote from: Farabomb on January 03, 2011, 10:03:43 AMI can ask my friend that used to work for Minolta about that copier. I remember him saying how some models are great and others are total crap. Xerox? In my experience and my reading here avoid them.

Thanks! That would be some good insight.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

Quote from: Aaron on January 03, 2011, 10:09:43 AMwhat model Xerox are you canning? The Xerox guy told us the Minolta's have issues holding color. Thought?

A Docucolor 250. All these *digital presses* have their pluses and minuses and they all kind of suck. It was poor service that finally caused us to drop Xerox. For instance, I've had an ongoing issue with the RIP for at least 3 weeks now which was finally attended to last week, but only because our svc tech had a cancellation. :laugh: Being near the end of our lease we are very low on their importance scale. LAME.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

Wow. So the print quality was ok, just service sucked. What part of the country are you in? Wondering if it would be the same service techs.

Farabomb

My friend says the 8000 is pretty new so you may want to wait a little until the bugs are worked out. He does like it though but he said there was issue with UV coating where it doesn't stick to the toner.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 03, 2011, 11:16:03 AMMy friend says the 8000 is pretty new so you may want to wait a little until the bugs are worked out. He does like it though but he said there was issue with UV coating where it doesn't stick to the toner.

My experience with these "presses" is the bugs never get worked out of them. A new model will be released which is the bug fix for the previous model.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: Aaron on January 03, 2011, 11:07:42 AMWhat part of the country are you in?

I don't think it matters. There's plenty of other comments about Xerox's "service" even here on B4P.

Aaron

That's cool. Just was curious.

We were leaning toward the Xerox because they are the only one's that do 2400 dpi. Even though the Minolta is 8 bit. Both print samples are nice. Although the Xerox had issues on large solids.

Possum

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 2400 dpi. Just run some of your own files through both, with both solids and screens, including greyscale screens, and see who does what.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Aaron

That's what I'm doing. Got about 6 different things set to both Xerox and Konica to test print.

whoami

Take a look at this video for an explanation on why Xerox is the only one that does 2400 dpi.

hizbub PRESS C8000 vs. Smearox 800