News:

Main Menu

Dot Spy

Started by beck, April 17, 2012, 08:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

We're looking for another seat of Dot Spy.  Actually, just need the dongle with the dongle & encoding numbers.

We've upgraded to the Server License version.  I'd like to have the additional seat so I don't have go to the Blood Sausage's desk to view files.  :shoots_self:

Thanks,

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

andyfest

beck - I believe as long as you have your software license activated on the RIP server, all seats on the network should be able to use DotSpy and Nexus Manager - as long as they are routed to the RIP server for activation confirmation when the app is fired up (usually the IP address of the RIP server is referenced). I believe we've been in that situation with both DotSpy & Nexus Manager since moving from dongles to activation licenses in v9 Nexus. You do have to install the DotSpy & Nexus Manager apps on all workstations for it to work. Nexus Edit on the other hand usually comes with only two seats activated.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

Quote from: andyfest on April 17, 2012, 11:33:29 AMbeck - I believe as long as you have your software license activated on the RIP server, all seats on the network should be able to use DotSpy and Nexus Manager - as long as they are routed to the RIP server for activation confirmation when the app is fired up (usually the IP address of the RIP server is referenced). I believe we've been in that situation with both DotSpy & Nexus Manager since moving from dongles to activation licenses in v9 Nexus. You do have to install the DotSpy & Nexus Manager apps on all workstations for it to work. Nexus Edit on the other hand usually comes with only two seats activated.

Nexus manager doesn't require a license but dot spy does, server or local, I asked about another copy and they want around 3500 clams for another seat.

andyfest

We have DotSpy & Nexus Manager running on all workstations here and I'm pretty sure we didn't apply for a site license for DotSpy, unless it's a pleasant mistake of some kind. :thumbsup:

beck

Quote from: G_Town on April 17, 2012, 11:43:39 AM
Quote from: andyfest on April 17, 2012, 11:33:29 AMbeck - I believe as long as you have your software license activated on the RIP server, all seats on the network should be able to use DotSpy and Nexus Manager - as long as they are routed to the RIP server for activation confirmation when the app is fired up (usually the IP address of the RIP server is referenced). I believe we've been in that situation with both DotSpy & Nexus Manager since moving from dongles to activation licenses in v9 Nexus. You do have to install the DotSpy & Nexus Manager apps on all workstations for it to work. Nexus Edit on the other hand usually comes with only two seats activated.

Nexus manager doesn't require a license but dot spy does, server or local, I asked about another copy and they want around 3500 clams for another seat.

Yeah, that's the "Quoted Price" we got this morning. 

I know my boss won't spring for that much money.  I'll just have to suck it up and go to Monkey Island  :puke2:  and use his seat of DotSpy the once or twice a month I need it.

beck
Joe

beck

G_Town,

Have you ever tried installing Dot Spy on two Macs, then using Dot Spy on each Mac, but not at the same time?

beck
Joe

andyfest

Quote from: beck  on April 17, 2012, 12:01:58 PM

G_Town,

Have you ever tried installing Dot Spy on two Macs, then using Dot Spy on each Mac, but not at the same time?

beck
I've got DotSpy running right now on 4 different workstations without issue. Oh there is an Esko Local license app installed on each workstation as well as DotSpy (attached)

beck

Andyfest,

I assume with the four workstations, you are not running DotSpy at the same time? 

And you only have a single seat license?
Joe

andyfest

I'll check on the license specifics today and get back to you. We do run DotSpy v4.5 on all 4 stations at the same time on the same network. We are using license software now, not dongles for all of our related Nexus apps. Back in the "dongle" days (pre Nexus v9.2?), I believe we could only run two seats of DotSpy. I think it was when we switched to software activation licenses that we discovered we could use DotSpy site-wide. We are running Nexus v9.5.8 with DotSpy v4.5 now and are anticipating  an upgrade to Nexus v10.1 soon.

andyfest

Sorry guys - I just checked and we have a DotSpy site license - I'm not sure how, why or when we got it but it's there.

beck

Thanks for checking.

I might try the one license / 2 Mac thing anyway.  Let's see what happens.

beck.
Joe

beck

No luck on the one license / two Mac project.  Even with the original Mac's DotSpy off, I got a license warning and DotSpy wouldn't start.

Looks like it's off to Sausageland to check my TIFFs.

beck
Joe

G_Town

IF you are using the SW license you have to deactivate it on machine 1 and activate it on machine 2 other wise it wont work.

It's nice that you don't have to worry about the dongles anymore but it kinda sucks not being able to just move it to another machine by moving the dongle.

gnubler

You can move my dongle any time, G.  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on April 20, 2012, 11:59:06 AMYou can move my dongle any time, G.  :hello:

Meet you by the train tracks?