Hiring tips in the industry

Started by gnubler, March 12, 2015, 09:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Long time no post. A few might be excited to hear from me, most probably not.  I'm on the move again and am currently seeking a replacement for my job. While I haven't worked in prepress for almost two years, my current job requires skills for creating print material that's...fit to print. I've run some local help wanted ads detailing the job duties and here's what I've seen over the past few weeks. (This was advertised in Santa Fe, New Mexico if that has any bearing on anything).

"Please reply with a bit about yourself, why you would be a good fit for this company, and submit a resume in PDF format."
95% of replies ignored this, replied to the ad with no information whatsoever - not even a brief introduction, and attached a Word file. (this is for a design position)

I did glance at a few Word resumes (cringe) and they were awful. Typos, weird grammar, Calibri font (no Papyrus yet, I'm sure it's coming), "years of design & printing experience" that aren't reflected in the work history. (this is for a design position)

"Must be able to work on-site 4-5 days per week."
I got a few replies from people in other US states and even other countries. If we were open to telecommuting the ad would state so.

"Can you reveal the name of your company before I submit my resume?"
It's in the ad.

I interviewed a really good candidate who accepted an invitation for a second interview, then didn't show up. A simple "no thanks" is fine and creates no hard feelings down the road. (Because we're all connected at one point or another, especially in a small town)

Overall, I'm surprised at the low amount of genuine replies. You know, with a 'recession' and all, and a saturation of "designers" in the market. Out of 20 or so replies, only two took the time to sound genuinely interested in the job. As in they actually read the ad, responded with a coherent letter of interest, and attached a PDF plus samples of their work.

Have any of you been dealing with lame hiring situations? What do you red flag and what not? What kind of skills tests are you giving to applicants to be sure they can do what they say?

:drunk3: (Marble IPA tonight)

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I think if you get 1 serious candidate out of a 100 you are doing pretty well. A lot of people answer ads even though they have no idea what the job is about and no experience. I assume they think their charming personality will convince someone to forgo the job requirements. We don't give any specific tests. All you have to do is ask some basic questions about prepress and printing in general during an interview and it is pretty easy to week out the dumb-asses.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Made in Taiwan

In my opinion, attitude is also important. There are plenty of candidates out there, who think they know everything already, tell you that they're the world's greatest designers, but actually have no clue about anything. I would flag those individuals red.
If I'd be in the position to hire somebody and found a candidate, who might have some basic knowledge, but tells me that he is willing to learn because honestly spoken he still lacks of knowledge/experience, I might give him a chance... Just like my employer did.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

gnubler

Well, the fact that they can't/won't even read a simple job ad already helps to weed out the dumb asses. It's not like the ad is a novella (and I've seen some of those). It's one paragraph and a bulleted list, and it clearly states basic instructions that only two people have comprehended so far.

Morons.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

I'd actually want someone with a bit of a surly attitude for prepress. A yes man/woman won't last long in prepress. If burnout doesn't kill them they may just rage out and shoot everyone.

Actually doesn't sound like a horrible retirement plan for prepress.  :shoots_self:

Yeah, if you can't take the time to read the posting and answer correctly then I already know you're going to be a problem.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

I'd bet that a lot of those resumes are just people who are collecting unemployment and need to show that they're actively seeking employment to continue to receive benefits.

When I was trying to fin a replacement for my old job a year ago, the pool of applicants was pretty bad. There were a few folks who had worked in prepress for years, but I could tell from our conversations that they didn't know nearly as much as they thought they did (or claimed to).

If you know your shit (and almost everyone on this board does, and the remainder are on the right track simply by being here seeking knowledge), then you know when you encounter someone who also knows his/her shit.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I may be good enough for here but I know that I don't know everything.

I think I proved that yesterday.  ;D

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

I like your attitude, man. You're hired.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

Sorry, the commute I a bit too far for me.

I do love Asian food though, maybe I'll think about it.  ;D

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

If I was hiring for a prepress job my first question would be "What's your favorite beer?" If they answered "Whatever beer is in front of me  after another day in prepress" would get the job.

Farabomb

Grapefruit Sculpin.

Do I get the job?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

we don't discriminate, either or both
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Are we talking about Ballast Point IPA here? If so, welcome to the team.