Can an i1 be used to measure LAB solids on a press sheet?

Started by Ice9, July 07, 2009, 12:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice9

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm currently in charge in straightening out color management at the company I work for.
About 2 years ago management decided to half-ass print to the ISO standards using only densitometry.
We are currently running an epson 9880 off of ORIS calibrated to ISOcoatedV2.
The press is a MANRoland 700 and the only control is setting up densities to the pressman's preferred numbers.

I would like to try and start moving towards GRACOL in order to achieve better results.
I was wondering if we could use an i1 out at the press to read LAB solids without having to buy something like an X-Rite 508?
I would also like to use it with IDEALink Curve to generate plate curves for Rampage.
The pressman and mgmt. are hesitant about G7.  They don't think we are competent enough to do it on our own, and they don't want to lay out the cash for someone to come in and do it for us.

Am I off base with my idea of using the i1 for this or do we need to buy the spectro?

Thanks.

Ice9

kermit

Yes, you can do it with non UV i1. I wouldn't but it's possible.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Edgar

Hey Ice!

Yes, you can use the i1 to read the LAB of any color in the press sheet but it's no so important that you have it at your press console. You can use it on press when you are making a press fingerprint. Once you have reached the right solids according to Gracol, you must record the result densities (with your densitometer) for the every-day printing control. Your pressman don't have to read LAB everywhere he checks a printed sheet.

For good results, your pressman have to check on the run for process control (once the press has fingerprinted):
- Densities
- Dot gain or TVI
- Contrast
- Trapps in RGB patches
Those readings have to be made it with a handheld densitometer (not an i1), even when working with G7. i1 was not designed for the press environment.

When fingerprint your press, then you can use your i1 and the Idealink Curve to adjust your dot gain curve using the G7 method.

I can't tell you more of the G7 because of the writting space. I'm a G7 certified expert located in Monterrey, Mexico.

I have heard that story about money but for good results you have to contract a G7 expert (not for me). Profiling presses and adjusting curves is a serious job that will cost too much (paper, time and money) if you don't do it right, according to the right norms and procedures. Your press profiles are the way your press print and are the quality you give to your clients everyday.

Where are you from?