News:

Main Menu

FEX Rules_OK!

Started by frailer, July 31, 2008, 04:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

I've been wedded to the idea that FEX may be a bit Quack unfriendly. So therefore tend to Load Temporarily in Fusion. But today, [again.. :rolleyes:], Fusion wouldn't load a font. Am at home so may post screenshots tomorrow.

Ok, put Fusion to bed, fire up FEX. It loads that font, albeit with red warning, indicating that members of the family are out to dinner somewhere. Tree down, activate the members in black that she has supplied...Bob's yer uncle!

Why do I keep using Fusion?    :embarrassed:         Well, I'm not now.    :lipsrsealed:

I think since V 1.2.3 it's been a bomb! Thank you Linotype.   :kiss:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

PrepressCrapFixer

I learned about FEX on this forum and love it.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

almaink

It's been starting to cause issues here. I think it may have to do with the amount of fonts I have loaded. Presenty I have 7456 fonts in FEX.
If I attempt to use the tools to clean out caches it hangs up before I can enter my password. And you can't even force quit it anymore. 4 reboots today already! Other than that tho, it's been a godsend.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: almaink on July 31, 2008, 08:39:42 AMIt's been starting to cause issues here. I think it may have to do with the amount of fonts I have loaded. Presenty I have 7456 fonts in FEX.
If I attempt to use the tools to clean out caches it hangs up before I can enter my password. And you can't even force quit it anymore. 4 reboots today already! Other than that tho, it's been a godsend.
I make a font folder on my desktop and copy all fonts to it, then I only load into FEX the fonts I'm using at any given time.  I only let it make a link to the desktop folder I have instead of using the font vault.  I daily remove fonts from FEX and clear the caches at least a couple times a week or more.  I feel it has worked a lot better than fusion did.  (just my 2c)
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

David

I/We do the same as PCF, load and unload when the job is done, hasn't failed me yet, even with quark.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

I don't have near the volume you guys maybe have. But I'll bear this in mind, because they'll accumulate over time, and I may experience these things down the track.
So, it's your FEX version of Load Temporarily, in effect?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

David

yeah, pretty much.

now-a-days you gotta stay on top of these fonts.
we get so many of these off the wall internet freebie fonts, you just gotta purge em out or your machine will just burst into flames.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on July 31, 2008, 05:09:28 PMyeah, pretty much.

now-a-days you gotta stay on top of these fonts.
we get so many of these off the wall internet freebie fonts, you just gotta purge em out or your machine will just burst into flames.

I wondered what caused this?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

nice one Joe, where'd you get the pic of my computer?

did you get it off that there google street view thingie or what?
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on July 31, 2008, 09:46:51 AMI only let it make a link to the desktop folder I have instead of using the font vault.

Time to revisit this today. Could you spell your steps out in a bit more detail, DCF? It's the "make a link" thing need clarification on. As in...are you activating without actually importing into a New Set?
Probably something simple, but I wanna pursue this, and maybe change my "practice".
Thanks.    :cheesy:

DigitalCrapShoveler

DCF, DCS, PCF, PDF whatever... I'll tell you what I do with Font Explorer, and you can throw that into the equation. I have 3 folders. An all encompassing "Library" with ALL fonts, (Over 27,000 now). A "System Fonts" folder with the minimum set of fonts I need to run my system... these are ALWAYS on. Then, I have a "Temp" fonts folder that I load all customer fonts into... per job (I drag said customer fonts). Once the job has cleared my machine, I deactivate the Temp fonts, and delete them. On to the next job. It has worked very well for me, but I work 100% local, so take that into consideration.

Oh yeah, with the incredibly overwhelming shit-load of fonts I have, Font Explorer is almost useless for running Cache Cleans or other resident utilities... it blow's it's mind!
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 05, 2008, 09:09:06 PMDCF, DCS, PCF, PDF whatever... I'll tell you what I do with Font Explorer, and you can throw that into the equation. I have 3 folders. An all encompassing "Library" with ALL fonts, (Over 27,000 now). A "System Fonts" folder with the minimum set of fonts I need to run my system... these are ALWAYS on. Then, I have a "Temp" fonts folder that I load all customer fonts into... per job (I drag said customer fonts). Once the job has cleared my machine, I deactivate the Temp fonts, and delete them. On to the next job. It has worked very well for me, but I work 100% local, so take that into consideration.

This is how I load fonts on my home Mac - created an alias in the Finder sidebar pointing to root/Library/Fonts and I just copy font files into it for quick and painless activation. Every month or so I empty and trash the folder contents

At work, it's Suitcase on XP and I have nothing to say about that because it works 99% of the time. But when oh when is FEX coming out for Windows? Still waiting...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

PrepressCrapFixer

By the way it's PCF not DCF (not a big deal, I can see the confusion with DCS around).

I guess that the way I described the practice of linking to the fonts may have been confusing or misleading.  I like DCS have found much better performance from OSX working locally instead of our network so most of the time I work locally on the MAC.  What I have is a folder that I made on my desktop that is called "Font folder" (Duh).  I place copies of customer fonts into that folder which I name by job number or some other descriptive name.  I then at the time I'm going to open their job, drag that folder into FEX.  This is where I believe that FEX makes an alias of the font folder I just dragged into it.  This is what I was referring to when I said "link."  Granted I might be wrong about what is actually happening when I drag fonts in FEX but that is my interpretation of it.  Usually each morning I try to remove sets and containing fonts from FEX and every few days I like to run Fontnuke on the system to clear up the caches and repair permissions.  I also once a month try to delete the font folders I have added to the desktop folder.  I hope that clears things up.

DigitalCrapShoveler

If we were to conceive together, we could name it, cuz it would be an "it"... DCF. :laugh:

:offtopic:

Member #285 - Civilian