Customer query about "trading in old fonts"

Started by ninjaPB_43, July 31, 2008, 08:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on August 01, 2008, 05:49:08 PMUphill in BOTH directions! :wink:

I don't think they're taking us seriously, Joe.

What's snow?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

gnubler

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on July 31, 2008, 08:39:37 PMSo a customer asked me today if I knew of a way to "trade in 300+ postscript fonts"(that he purchased way back when, his words not mine) for newer open-type. 

You know someone who actually purchased fonts?! Wow!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on August 01, 2008, 11:33:41 AMHe was rambling something about getting better results on images by saving them all as .eps instead of .tiff, "whatever buddy,

:laugh: :laugh: - LMFAO - resisting urge to jack font thread and start bitching about eps vs tiff.... uuummmmpppff... breathe... okay, better.

LOL - freakin Gnubler! We were all thinking it, good to have you back.  :grin:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

Seriously - I've only worked in one place where the owner actually purchased fonts (Adobe) because she heard those super scary radio commercials about getting busted for having illegal software. All the other shops I've worked in - fonts come in, and they never make it out.

400 FREE fonts with Vista!? That's it - I'm upgrading straight away. It sounds better and better every day.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

we actually purchased the entire Adobe Type 1 Font Family for Mac and PC years ago...

don't stop the steelin' tho.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

hotmetal

Remember the Key Fonts CD? 1000 unlocked free fonts! The company, Softkey, gave this disk away for years as a bonus with their other craptastic software deals.

Turned out that the Key Fonts were actually Adobe fonts with most of their screen font sizes and hints stripped out. When Adobe got this to court they were able to show that the code was actually theirs. That, of course, took years, and by then the damage was done. You've seen these fonts, they have SSC in their name, for Southern Software Corp. This all started in the early 1990s with one guy with a copy of Fontographer and a pile of Adobe fonts. I think he lived in Georgia.

He sold the damn thing to Softkey. Softkey got bought by the Learning Company, who got bought by Mattel. Mattel was holding the bag when the shit went down, to the tune of several million bucks.

I don't think you can trade your Key Fonts CD in on an OTF version!
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Hotmetal, you are a mine of amusing, [and scary], information. Sounds like Dixie payback to me... :laugh: 
Hmmm...I'm Australian....
Are you allowed to say stuff like that there? Or am I gonna cause ructions?   :undecided:

Anyway, who needs all those other sizes; and hinting, for that matter... :evil:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

hotmetal

Quote from: frailer on August 06, 2008, 07:29:37 PMHotmetal, you are a mine of amusing, [and scary], information. Sounds like Dixie payback to me... :laugh: 
Are you allowed to say stuff like that there? Or am I gonna cause ructions?   :undecided:

Ructions, schumcktions, what the heck is a Dixie payback?
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Quote from: hotmetal on August 06, 2008, 08:00:20 PM
Quote from: frailer on August 06, 2008, 07:29:37 PMHotmetal, you are a mine of amusing, [and scary], information. Sounds like Dixie payback to me... :laugh: 

Ructions, schumcktions, what the heck is a Dixie payback?

Yeah, well, I thought I was getting a bit carried away.   :embarrassed:  Too vivid an imagination. Had a vision of a bunch of large log cabins in the Georgia pines...people packing the CDs...stuff like that. No? 

Oh well...we'll just drop it then.... :window:

Put it down to a cultural gap.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

hotmetal

Actually I think he was a computer nerd with just enough knowledge — but no professional ethics — to put the disk together, living in a condo in Atlanta.

Just remember:  that slimeball was responsible for hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of dollars of ruined print jobs over the years. The art dept. upstairs has a whole folder of SSC's craptastic fonts. If I ran the zoo, that folder would be toast by now. Instead... they use them in current design jobs...
Hunter S. Thompson