News:

Main Menu

Courier on my resume

Started by Foozball, July 26, 2010, 12:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

If YOU saw my resume, and it was in courier, would that be annoying or awesome?

At the moment - the way I see it - it can't get much worse!?!? :banghead:

frailer

Definitely the sign of a man who doesn't run with the pack....and isn't afraid of Courier.    :laugh:   How are you surviving mate? Getting other work in between...?   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Foozball

Thanks.

I'm getting by, nothing spectacular to report!
Am applying for jobs everywhere, need to get out of the current role of "Press Helper" ... this job of MANUALLY flipping/jotting/loading paper for a 40inch SHEET-FED press is a ball breaker!
It's so boring I now only get 4 hrs of sleep each night.

.... oh yeah, better go .... Zzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz ..... :blowup:

frailer

Hang in there, Fooz...    :walker:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Applying for a prepress job I assume? On one hand, no I wouldn't use Courier. It's possible it could catch their attention. But in a bad way. But if nothing else is working....

Make that a firm "undecided". :laugh:

And good luck.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I wouldn't use Courier, it's not professional. Have you heard of a font called Comic Sans? You should try that - it'll give your resume a good natured, whimsical, "I'm a real person" sort of feel. I would also try putting your name across the top in big letters using Papyrus font - that will show you are also "mature" and "serious". Good luck.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ninjaPB_43

I feel ya, Fooz.   :banghead:   The market sucks pretty bad everywhere. I've seen several prepress postings in Dallas in the past few weeks, but I can't commute 5 hours a day. I'd rather flip burgers.  :angry: Good Luck to you.

Also, you should listen to that dood Gnubler, he knows his fonts.  :laugh:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DCurry

Quote from: gnubler on July 26, 2010, 06:25:34 AMI wouldn't use Courier, it's not professional. Have you heard of a font called Comic Sans? You should try that - it'll give your resume a good natured, whimsical, "I'm a real person" sort of feel. I would also try putting your name across the top in big letters using Papyrus font - that will show you are also "mature" and "serious". Good luck.

So funny!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Captain_Type

And if you get an interview, wear all black and act aloof. If they ask for samples, show them your keychain. Anyone with such good taste in keychains MUST be awesome. I think that's how a lot of hires go, from what I've seen. Either that, or something going on with the door shut.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

gnubler

WTF?! :laugh:

If you want to be remembered you could also try coloring your hair bright BRIGHT fire engine red. It got me the job.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on July 26, 2010, 10:53:34 AMWTF?! :laugh:

If you want to be remembered you could also try coloring your hair bright BRIGHT fire engine red. It got me the job.
If I were you, I'd set my resume in all capital letters, and also Italics. IT REALLY HELPS GRAB ATTENTION!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Quote from: Foozball on July 26, 2010, 12:13:28 AMIf YOU saw my resume, and it was in courier, would that be annoying or awesome?

At the moment - the way I see it - it can't get much worse!?!? :banghead:
I might get a kick out of courier if it was clear to me it was tongue-in-cheek, otherwise, I'd stick to Hobo or Revue (good luck Fooz)
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

David

ah, you guys got it all wrong, use Copperplate, it is elegant and yet, unrefined.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Foozball

Quote from: born2print on July 26, 2010, 01:05:11 PMI might get a kick out of courier if it was clear to me it was tongue-in-cheek, otherwise, I'd stick to Hobo or Revue (good luck Fooz)
Of course it would be tongue in cheek, and I'd put some effort into it to make that clear ... but then again how CLEAR do I need to be that it's a joke, when most people here can't understand me when I talk!?!?! Even the Yinzers 'roun' 'ere think I talk funne'! :banghead:
So, I'll be scrapping that idea - THANKS to all yinz for the feedback - I don't exactly have anyone else to bounce my screwball ideas off of.

A sample of my frustration - cleaning the press Friday, prepress guy was off, so I made some layout changes and plates as requested by the manager. Saw an email from a company where I have applied for their "Production Artist" position twice prior, apparently the email was explaining the order that the 16 pages were to go in ... ugh!  :banghead: ... I mean really, you can't start at 1 and go through to 16 in sequential order? WTF?
And I don't even get a "Thanks, but no thanks" from these people? :banghead:

HotMetal - notice my use/abuse of "yinz"!  :wink:

DigitalCrapShoveler

People don't generally get Prepress humor. Shit we laugh about, most people would find repulsive and crude. 95% of the people outside Prepress have rolling paper skin and cannot take most of the things ejaculated from our battle scorned mouths without balking in horror.

My name is DCS and I am a Population Control Enthusiast.
Member #285 - Civilian