Copy fonts from NTFS share and they break.

Started by t-pat, September 06, 2012, 04:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

My final thought... I wish Corn's wife would just take up smoking.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 07, 2012, 03:59:28 PM...  We don't have Dave's budget...

Dave's budget?  hah, you remember we got bought out in February, which means we had no budget for years...   I believe I got more band-aids than you.
I just got a new server to replace an older one that ran out of space. The new one has hard drives from 2006.

that's my massive budget.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

PrepressCrapFixer

I see both sides of the issue and as someone who has worked this job almost as long as DCS, I understand completely where he is coming from.  I too find that it is just more efficient and speeds up the process to just pull a copy to my desktop and work locally on jobs.  Not all of the time but sometimes it clears up network issues that interfere with what I'm working on.  Just sayin.... :wink:
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Farabomb

When I started in digital alchemy it was working off a server. Dumb slow but it kept all the files organized. After we opened our own joint I was the only magician here so I worked local. When we got another body I set up a server just to keep organized. Now I'm back to local. Prinergy stores all the final files becasue that's how it has to work.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: david on September 10, 2012, 07:16:17 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 07, 2012, 03:59:28 PM...  We don't have Dave's budget...

Dave's budget?  hah, you remember we got bought out in February, which means we had no budget for years...   I believe I got more band-aids than you.
I just got a new server to replace an older one that ran out of space. The new one has hard drives from 2006.

that's my massive budget.

Calm down, Dave. I was just pokin' you back. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

David

I know, poking here too...

it's Monday, not a lot going on, trying to rebuild my ole ass server on this new old thingie I got, it takes a while, soooooo

solitaire or freecell?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

PrepressCrapFixer

:homer: hmm will have to check out off the clock.  Work firewall will definitely block any of these :evil:
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

DigitalCrapShoveler

Mine usually does, too. For some reason, this slips right through.
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

So, at the new place all of 2 days, and I think they're having this same issue and of course nobody has a clue how to resolve it. But I'm not sure if it's the same problem as T-pat originally posted, so here's the rundown of how they (seem) to operate:

3 Mac workstations working off of an SMB share that's some kind of Windows server. My Mac was just updated to 10.6.8, the others are still on 10.4.x or maybe 10.5. All the files come in via the Prepress Manager for now, and his Mac is on the older OS, so if he decompresses a job, loads it onto the server then I access it in 10.6.8 many of the fonts end up at 0k. If he re-Zips them or leaves the original archive intact I'm okay but he typically wants to preview the jobs before I get them, for now at least.

I saw Joe's post on Pg 2 here about running some Terminal commands and Enabling Named Streams but I'm not comfortable mucking around like that with their file structures just yet. Am I even in the same situation as T-Pat, should I just try mounting that server AFP on my Mac and see if it helps, or...?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

It sounds like he is probably using AFP to copy it to the server. If that is the case your only option is to either copy them to your machine via AFP and then copy them back to the server via SMB or just work from the server via AFP. Of course if it's a Windows 2000 server there is a good chance a newer Mac OS won't let you connect to it via AFP. Not sure about the 10.6.x line but you can't connect to a Windows 2000 AFP share with OS X 10.7.x or OS X 10.8.x.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway