Wide format printer that prints on 14-24pt Stock

Started by rickself, March 08, 2016, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Good Tuesday - for the past 2 years I have had the 12 ink HP Designjet Z3200ps as my proofing machine and it has performed wonderfully on the stock available from HP and a couple of other roll vendors. I use a satin gloss stock and the colors are accurate proof material. Our lease is coming to the end on the printer and what I'm really looking for now is a wide format printer that can also print directly on CCNB, SBS, and folding carton materials in a weight from 14-24pt. I have attempted on the HP but the ink never sets, even smearing during printing.

Now in the real world of prepress and workflow, the proofer would be set up in line with the RIP and platemaking. But in my world, (small company), we are fragmented. I produce the proof, the customer signs off on the proof, and the pressmen match the proof. All from the same PDF I generate. I keep the HP calibrated really well to match both CMYK and spot colors. Sounds archaic but it works. I've been told many a times that we really need to proof through the RIP but that ain't happening here...maybe someday but not in the near future.

So bottom line what I'm looking for is info on wide format printers that can print on sheets of folding carton material.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

andyfest

I hear that Fuji/CGS has a proofing system out that will laminate onto stock - I think our Toronto plant has that system now. I believe it's a joint effort between Fuji & CGS. Sounds somewhat similar to a Kodak Approval system but not as pricey. Still in the $50K range though I think.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro