'Distressing' effect (for frailer's daughter)

Started by frailer, May 05, 2011, 05:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: drummergirlucy on May 06, 2011, 12:24:37 AMhttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/lucyhelena/johnson-01.jpg

I guess I'm still not getting what it is you are after because the Vintage Motors one already looks to be pretty stressed but I'm guessing you have a high res vector of that image that you are wanting to stress with a pattern similar to the one in the Johnson Motors one?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Saturday AM here Joe. I think it's been shelved for the weekend.   :laugh:    I gather she wanted to be able to be able to substitute different patterns, easily, via Layers, I guess. But have them take on the stressed appearance. But I'm a bit  :huh:   too.
I'll see her later today... prolly get the full run-down.
Oh, yeah, that printer problem was causing some angst. Resolved, for now, apparently.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Has she tried applying texture on the vector artwork? Looks better on raster images but can be applied to vector.

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on May 06, 2011, 03:39:46 PMSaturday AM here Joe.

So the world won't end tonight? You are our hope for the future...at least 18 hours forward.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Syphon

If your daughter wants the work to be 100% vector, there is a way to do that in Illustrator. See the tutorial link:
http://layersmagazine.com/distressing-text-with-live-trace-in-adobe-illustrator-cs2.html#more-7140
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

drummergirlucy

OK

the part that looks distressed is actually taken from a scan of the original t-shirt and the reason why i've left it like that is there are no changes to be made, so it's the easier/better option

BUT

now that I have to change the top text and need it to look the same (with distressing) i'm not sure what to do

I think I'm going to have to manually trace the bottom art and then put a "similar" distress (made using the method using photoshop) over the whole thing

Thanks!!

frailer

Seems maybe the answer is to use an opacity mask, incorporating either an embedded, or Linked, image; i.e. a pixel-based file. According to Mr Golding, in a tute dealing with this very thing on lynda[dot]com, (LOL, he was giving it a 'distressed' look), you can use 'virtually any image'.
Can't show the tute, as it's a Log In.
With an Opacity Mask, it (the distress image) becomes part of the vector file you're wanting to 'distress'. It can be changed later to another image, without to much trouble.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

David

better to look mahvelous than to feel mahvelous
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Yeah. Like "feelin' Minnesota" roadkillish. That's what happens when you wake up at 3am and can't get back to sleep. I am approaching sheer madness.