400% colour_how/why?

Started by frailer, March 13, 2012, 06:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Invitation. Paying job, but obviously friend of MGR. Wants to know what to tell her, for next time. I don't see it as Rego Col. Illy nuts, how do you think she's got that. 400% type, and border...?

Link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bpbj50
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

I opened in Illy just to see... screenshots attached. If I choose Black from swatches palette, it goes to 100K.  I'l be running a GC on it. I don't have those fonts anyway, so what you're seeing is substituted.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

It's not because she used the registration color but I'm 100% sure it's because she did something stupid. If only people had a webcam on them so we could prove it. Somehow she created a swatch/color that is 100% of all 4 colors. Probably thought she was helping. :shoots_self:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Luckily, if Prinergy sees anything colored this way inside the trim box it converts it to 100% K so I really don't have to worry about this particular problem anymore.

frailer

Yep, looks that way. He wants to run 50% C behind it, so have run a GC. All good now.   :rolleyes:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 13, 2012, 06:49:03 PMYep, looks that way. He wants to run 50% C behind it, so have run a GC. All good now.   :rolleyes:

One thing I'll never understand no matter how long I live to do prepress...if HE wants to run 50% cyan behind it, why wasn't it set up that way to start with. It's not that frickin' hard to do it right the first time if you aren't a completely worthless blathering idoit!

not having a good day...[/rant]

frailer

'sokay Joe. We all have 'em. By contrast, my reaction was  :shrug:   But then we're not very busy.    :undecided:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 13, 2012, 07:20:51 PM'sokay Joe. We all have 'em. By contrast, my reaction was  :shrug:   But then we're not very busy.    :undecided:

I just don't know what is about printing that attracts extraordinarily stupid people. I should be used to it by now but each day is filled with new adventures. :death:

frailer

I keep my expectations low these days. Dezingers seem to know very little about print requirements. Guess that's where it's headed,

delooch

i got $5 that says shes proofing to herself on a digital machine and the 400% is making that black "POP", or she doesn't understand "display blacks accurately"

Joe

Quote from: delooch on March 13, 2012, 10:54:54 PMi got $5 that says shes proofing to herself on a digital machine and the 400% is making that black "POP", or she doesn't understand "display blacks accurately"

I'll raise you $5 that she is just stupid. :laugh:

Greg_Firestone

Since you posted the file on the forum, I guess we're ALL invited to the party.

I'll probably get there around 6:45. Bringing a cheese dip...

Greg

David

I got the Crudités platter...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on March 13, 2012, 06:49:03 PMYep, looks that way. He wants to run 50% C behind it, so have run a GC. All good now.   :rolleyes:

I think you need to fly in a consultant from Chicago on a semi permanent basis - to analyze the many reasons why someone would deliberately type in 100% of all 4 colors.

Yesterday I had to figure out why someone made their Pantone 377 swatch blue.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Ear

I had one the other day that had a big black to red gradient, out of Publisher. It was 100%x4 in the black part, which was the top half of the page with a steep transition to the red. In other words, there was at least 8.5x3" of 400%. I had trouble changing it because it saw it as a smooth shading object under some odd layering and wanted the client to resubmit. Boss said, "meh, let it go, it's running on the heatset so it won't be a problem".  :ohno: On one hand, I guess he is right that the heat will keep it from offsetting but still, lame. Made for an ugly, wavy sheet and the press did struggle with it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black