Suggestions for a new Mac

Started by Bakerman, March 18, 2015, 01:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I have SSD's in my Mac, PC and laptop at home and I don't think I will ever go back for system drives. The price has dropped for them and as long as you have a HDD or an external (or 4 in my case) you should never be hurting for space.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Full SSDs will whomp the piss out of conventional platter drives, all day long. I think this "fusion drive" BS they're pushing is more marketing hype, esp now that they're quietly dropped the portion that's the SSD.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on November 16, 2015, 02:31:52 PMFull SSDs will whomp the piss out of conventional platter drives, all day long. I think this "fusion drive" BS they're pushing is more marketing hype, esp now that they're quietly dropped the portion that's the SSD.

Agree. Either go all in on a real SSD or don't go at all. Especially Apples implementation of the hybrid drives.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Got the New Mac, the other Mac is getting the Video Card replace, I'm lost :laugh:

Tracy

New Mac doesn't have a dvd drive, I think that might be a good thing tho.
Thankfully we had an exterior.
Font explorer doesn't seem to want to install, I will be researching that.
No problems so far, just the usual getting everything installed etc..

Farabomb

I haven't used my DVD drive in so long the grease dried up and it will no longer open.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 17, 2015, 11:04:36 AMNew Mac doesn't have a dvd drive, I think that might be a good thing tho.
Thankfully we had an exterior.
Font explorer doesn't seem to want to install, I will be researching that.
No problems so far, just the usual getting everything installed etc..

I miss it occasionally but we still do have iMacs that have a DVD drive so I can use those. What OS is on that Mac. I have it installed in OS X 10.10.5 and it still works.

Tracy

Joe

What happens when you try to install it (Linotype Font Explorer)?

Farabomb

Honestly I've been having so many problems with FEX that I just use font book now.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Agreed. With Indy I use the Document Fonts folder. Anything else I just drag them into /Users/~/Library/Fonts. It seems like there a whole lot of fonts that don't work well with the old free version of FEX.

Farabomb

Yeah, the have shortcuts to the indy folders on the desktop and copy and paste them into there. If it's only one or two it's fontbook. A long time ago FEX refused to import multiple fonts so I just gave up on it.

Though I did have to use it today because indy refused to see it when installed in font book but worked with FEX. I know I used font book when I designed the piece. 

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

OS X? Fonts? Sense? Never! I can have a font work one day and not the next. :strangle:

Tracy

hmm I love Font Explorer, basically for illy etc..
I rarely have a problem. I mostly use open type tho.
I will have to do what you guys are doing I guess

Nothing happens when I click on Linotype Font Explorer
tried putting it in apps, no worky

Joe

Just remove the fonts from /Users/~/Library/Fonts when you are done with them and not be like a certain ex co-worker that had over 8,000 fonts in there and then complained that their Mac was slow. If you do that...I will scold you! :police: