LogMeIn options

Started by Farabomb, January 22, 2014, 09:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbeals

Just spend a couple of hundred dollars it takes to get a VPN setup and be done with it. Once you have a VPN you can VNC/RDP wherever you want plus a whole host of other benefits. No matter what you are going to have to pay. So quit being cheap, do it right and eliminate the problem. Penny wise, pound foolish?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

You do have a point and I may have to look into that.

They did release a app for chrome desktop for android. Had to use it this morning. It's not horrible but I don't think I can process a job with it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: mattbeals on July 08, 2014, 01:42:27 AMJust spend a couple of hundred dollars it takes to get a VPN setup and be done with it. Once you have a VPN you can VNC/RDP wherever you want plus a whole host of other benefits. No matter what you are going to have to pay. So quit being cheap, do it right and eliminate the problem. Penny wise, pound foolish?
Ha!!! You say that like I have any control, valued input or influence whatsoever. You a funny guy Matt.  :lmao:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

I'm lucky where if I come up with something and pitch it correctly I have a very good chance of getting it. I'm going to start looking and will end up creating a new post for questions.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: mattbeals on July 08, 2014, 01:42:27 AMJust spend a couple of hundred dollars it takes to get a VPN setup and be done with it. Once you have a VPN you can VNC/RDP wherever you want plus a whole host of other benefits. No matter what you are going to have to pay. So quit being cheap, do it right and eliminate the problem. Penny wise, pound foolish?

Recommendations?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A541966%2Ck%3Acisco+vpn+router%2Cp_89%3ACisco%2Cp_72%3A1248879011&keywords=cisco+vpn+router&ie=UTF8&qid=1404837818&rnid=1248877011

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/result.aspx?key=vpn&wclsscat=&b=&p=&ctlgfilter=&searchscope=all&sr=1

Cisco, Juniper, SonicWall, etc are all great brands with a variety of solutions depending on your needs. Much less expensive to implement now than it was a few years ago. Keeps getting less and less expensive.

If you want to be really frugal about it you can use tools like Untangle who has a free vpn as part of their free package. https://www.untangle.com/store/openvpn.html

Untangle also sells additional modules for various things like content filters, spam blockers, virus protection at the gateway, IP failover, load balancing, AD integration, caching proxy server, etc. Plus they have professional services to help get it up and running and stay running.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

Yeah, This needs to be another post. I'm really considering doing this instead of jerking around with remote desktop.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on July 08, 2014, 12:06:52 PMYeah, This needs to be another post. I'm really considering doing this instead of jerking around with remote desktop.

The Untangle one looks interesting. If you start the project be sure to create a new thread so we can see how it goes. Depending on the workload this week after being off for a week I might try something too.

Edit: OK...I see you created the new thread here: VPN implementation
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

And I even spelled it right.

I think...

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job