LogMeIn options

Started by Farabomb, January 22, 2014, 09:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I found that when I install TV it has you to enter a password for unattended access but when you run the app it still does not have the unattended access setup and if you don't set it up again every time you restart the app or reboot the machine it generates a new random password. You have to go and setup team viewer for unattended access again after the initial install and then it will use the password you give it there all of the time. You only have to leave the app open all of the time that you plan to connect to. For example, if you are only connecting from home to work means the only one that has to be running all of the time is the work machine. Now for the legalities, using it for work means you are breaking the EULA. And although it was mentioned here that there is a time limit on the free version I can't find any info that actually says that. If I have to go the pay route for this, since it is almost always a Mac to Mac connection we would probably just buy Apple Remote Desktop. It appears it is only $79 in the app store though I haven't checked to see if there are any hidden costs involved as I haven't gotten serious about it yet.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I would never break the EULA by using it to accomplish any work - just that I often want to access files from home while at work.

Sounds like a PITA. The nice thing about LMI was that it worked without having to really think about it.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

Give the google remote a shot. Seems to have less install headaches than Teamviewer.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 23, 2014, 12:04:58 PMI would never break the EULA by using it to accomplish any work - just that I often want to access files from home while at work.

Sounds like a PITA. The nice thing about LMI was that it worked without having to really think about it.

It kinda is. You can set it to auto start at boot time but you still have the application icon on dock which means there is a good chance someone will close it. Chicken still works okay though you do have to open ports for it. And it tends to hang up now and again requiring a reboot which you can't do remotely once it hangs up so you are basically locked out until you can get the computer rebooted.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 23, 2014, 12:26:44 PMGive the google remote a shot. Seems to have less install headaches than Teamviewer.

I probably will. I've been trying to wean myself away from the goog but its tentacles seem to keep pulling me back.

Slappy

Any idea why TeamViewer would be generating a new Login Password randomly? I've tried to get on a few times when something needs to be done only to be denied access. When I come in the next day & check the TeamViewer panel, the Remote Control password is totally different than what it should be.  :huh:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Mainly because it sucks...

But seriously, go under the "Connect" menu and click on "Setup Unattended Access" and it will keep the password you assign there. I fought that bastard for a month before I figured that out.

Slappy

Ah, ok! I'll try to remember Tuesday to do that, unless I get called in this weekend which a possibility.  :rolleyes: Thanks!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

The google desktop kinda works but it seems to be a lot slower than LogMein was. It may just be my slow connection up in the woods.

I have teamviewer installed as a backup but when I was testing it I really didn't like it for some reason.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

The thing that aggravates me the most is that it is always shown running in the dock. I hate that for some reason.

Farabomb

That drives me nuts too. There is no reason to have to see the damn thing all day.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Well, I got the "Unattended Access" setup, thanks Joe! Works fine, and it's even pretty responsive from home once I disable the "Show Desktop Picture" and tweak the Display settings a little.

Only problem is, TeamViewer tends to "time out" when the Mac goes into Sleep Mode and can't connect. There's a Wake on LAN setting but it's not behaving either. I've resorted to either setting the Mac to Never Sleep under Energy Saver options, or using LogMeIn to wake the Mac up remotely then go into TeamViewer.

Joe

Yeah, Wake on LAN won't work because you are not on the LAN. You need Wake on WAN. And that is a problem for any Mac. The only way I know of is use something called Magic Packets which requires a complicated process with your router and opening some ports. Personally I would just turn sleep mode off for anything that doesn't use a battery. It causes more problems than it is worth.

I did find this that might help if you want to try it:

http://csabak.blogspot.com/2013/05/remote-controlling-home-pc-using.html

and this:

http://www.overlooksoft.com/support/39-wol

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on June 21, 2014, 03:19:37 PMor using LogMeIn to wake the Mac up remotely then go into TeamViewer.

I just noticed this...if you still have LogMeIn working why do you want to use TeamViewer?

Slappy

Even though LogMeIn Free was supposed to stop working it hadn't when we installed TeamViewer. I tried it out of desperation the first time I had to get access one night, but prefer the way TeamViewer connects. LogMeIn makes me go their site, then DL the same damned application every single time I want access! So I'd wake the Mac then switch to TeamViewer. Stupid, I know but now that I stop it from going to Sleep at all it's not a problem.