Switching from Rampage to XMF - Feedback?

Started by wagsgraphx, March 26, 2014, 04:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wagsgraphx

Since Fuji will no longer be supporting Rampage my employer is looking at switching over to the XMF system.
Anybody running on the XMF system that used to be on Rampage?
Any pros or cons?
Your feed back is appreciated.

DigiCorn

Yes - I'd like to see this feedback as well. Still on Rampage and interviewing XMF and Apogee as replacements.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Diddler

Sorry guys, never used Rampage, but can't speak highly enough of XMF. Pretty robust and solid once over the learning curve. Definitely worth a look at.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

mwc

Quote from: wagsgraphx on March 26, 2014, 04:11:20 PMSince Fuji will no longer be supporting Rampage my employer is looking at switching over to the XMF system.
Any pros or cons?

I would like to re-poke this thread to see if any additional info is lurking out there....?
1. If you converted from Rampage to XMF, how are you dealing with exact reruns of existing RSI data? Is there a input/conversion in XMF or are you using your legacy Rampage for this....or are you just 'redoing' the job in XMf?
also,
2. If you run digital presses as well as offset, are you using XMF for both operations?
3. Is there anything like the 'proof compare' feature from Rampage in XMF?
4. Thumbs Up ,Down, or Sideways for efficiency compared to Rampage?
5. Are you happy LeBron is going back to the Cavs?

DigiCorn

Quote from: mwc on July 16, 2014, 08:44:36 AM
Quote from: wagsgraphx on March 26, 2014, 04:11:20 PMSince Fuji will no longer be supporting Rampage my employer is looking at switching over to the XMF system.
Any pros or cons?

I would like to re-poke this thread to see if any additional info is lurking out there....?
1. If you converted from Rampage to XMF, how are you dealing with exact reruns of existing RSI data? Is there a input/conversion in XMF or are you using your legacy Rampage for this....or are you just 'redoing' the job in XMf? haven't made any moves yet
also,
2. If you run digital presses as well as offset, are you using XMF for both operations? see above
3. Is there anything like the 'proof compare' feature from Rampage in XMF? don't know
4. Thumbs Up ,Down, or Sideways for efficiency compared to Rampage? don't know
5. Are you happy LeBron is going back to the Cavs? YES! I won a bet, and got a free beer at Capitol Tap Room.
Answers in-line above.

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

prepress2

Quote from: mwc on July 16, 2014, 08:44:36 AM
Any pros or cons?

1. If you converted from Rampage to XMF, how are you dealing with exact reruns of existing RSI data? Is there a input/conversion in XMF or are you using your legacy Rampage for this....or are you just 'redoing' the job in XMf?
also,
2. If you run digital presses as well as offset, are you using XMF for both operations?
3. Is there anything like the 'proof compare' feature from Rampage in XMF?
4. Thumbs Up ,Down, or Sideways for efficiency compared to Rampage?
5. Are you happy LeBron is going back to the Cavs?

We are about a year into our conversion from Rampage 10.4 to XMF and it's pretty much settled in.
Answers to your questions:
1. I matched as closely as possible press curves to what we had existing in Rampage. Once that was done we rework either from natives or exports that were ripped (pdf or distill the eps) in Rampage. So far no major color or trap differences.
2. We have one indigo press. After setting up a workflow set in XMF to emulate as closely as possible our EPS>Preps>.ps>pdf workflow we had been using it's working very nicely. Biggest problem has been RGB conversion and the indigo rip's LUT.
3. I never worked above Rampage V10 so didn't experience proof compare. From what I know about it, no, there is nothing like it in XMF. However you can (we do) export imposed pdfs to keep with our native files, you could compare previous vs. current.
4. Thumbs up! Although we have an older Rampage version and hardware so not great comparison. It took nearly 40 min. to rip, impose, rip and start to proof a 16pgr on our 28 inch press. XMF, once I'm ready to go into rip, 10 minutes if I take a bathroom break. ;)
5. LeBron... no comment. I'm from Seattle, it's almost Seahawks season. lol

What I do appreciate about XMF is also the support. They brought on many Rampage techs and they have been instrumental in helping me wrap my brain around the software.