News:

Main Menu

Creep in XMF

Started by Monique, March 03, 2010, 09:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: impodave on March 03, 2010, 07:47:24 PM- it had crossovers that wouldn'thve looked real cool with 1/32 missing outof the crossovers..... :rolleyes:

Decidedly uncool.    :laugh:  BTW, dave, you seem to be cruisin' in there. Must be the 'apprenticeship' done in Dynastrip.   :cheesy:

Still curious on your feeding the 1/32 figure straight in though.  :undecided: I'd like to be able to by-pass Excel.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

impodave

I entered a negative figure of -.004 in the x value for default creep.  .004 x 9 thicknesses of paper  = .036 inch,  or around 1/32.  I measured this at the spine on one of the plates for the innermost section. The page marks actually creep in as yo move from the outermost to the innermost section ....
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

impodave

All you have to know (I believe) is the thickness of your stock (paper)  :cheesy:
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

frailer

Quote from: impodave on March 03, 2010, 08:04:06 PM- the support person told me to do this...

Inside info...an advantage!    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

impodave

Well, after careful review, it appears that you set the default creep for the job like I told you,in the initial sig,  but the 'use default creep' must be checked in subsequent sigs for the creep amount to flow properly - you can scroll from sig to sig with the viewer magnified and confirm the increase as you move toward the center of the booklet.  I hope this makes sense - the server is shut down for the day - so I know where the settings are applied, I just don't always know the proper labels to use :embarrassed:. Ready to get outta here for the weekend, oh, wait...  :huh:   I'm coming in tomorrow... :sad:

frailer

Our Fuji apps guy is selling me a different Creep route. Hoping to talk to him about 4:30 Monday. Shall post if I think I can add anything to this. Involves feeding in stock weight value + page count...get an answer in Excel.

impodave

I don't think you need to go thru all that - as long as you know the thickness of the paper you're using...

Joe

Formula is simple enough:

Number of pages divided by 4 times paper thickness = creep     |      # / 4 * PT = Creep

Works no matter which workflow you are using. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

impodave

frailer

I agree, and am waiting to see what the other route involves, and why.   :undecided:

frailer

Am revisiting this, as finally got some person to person input on Creep adjustment. Am going to stick to their recommended method, at this stage. Open the .xls file, fill in the stock weight, number of pages...resultant 'Creep Number' goes into the Default Creep filed in the (first) Imposition Menu window, as a sort of XMF co-efficient, I guess; as a negative number (move towards spine).
Then go to the Sheets Menu (3rd), and check 'Apply Default Creep'.
Shall see. We tend to not need it but will soon be using it for an 88pp/115gsm job.

impodave

Roger.....  I will stick to the method I am used to for now.  It helps to know the paper specs in your head - thats where decades of buying paper have come in handy, I guess. What I really like is that you can see the degree of creep increase  on the page trim marks at the spine as you move toward the center of the book - never had that feature before in Dyna. Later ..... :azn:

impodave

BTW, I have the creep set in most of my SSTs as -.004 - that works well for most applications unless you get into something lighter (60# coated book) or heavier (80# uncoated text) ....... :wink:, course I know you live in the metric world ..... :grin:

frailer

Quote from: impodave on March 25, 2010, 11:45:14 AMWhat I really like is that you can see the degree of creep increase  on the page trim marks at the spine as you move toward the center of the book - never had that feature before in Dyna. Later ..... :azn:
Plus you can preview the content, as 'creeped'. Nice.  Might try a test today.

maxpower

I get an error everytime i want to use negative creep "Creep is invalid, no room for pages to creep into".

I set the default creep to -.05, tick use default creep on the signature, but always get the error. I can see the pages creeping in as i go through the sigs, but still get the error? I know I dont want positive creep, it would make the book bigger than i want.

Any idea what im doing wrong?