News:

Main Menu

Creep question

Started by frailer, November 25, 2013, 05:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

here's a copy of the email I just sent to Wayne-baby, our relevat tech. Anyone else have any thoughts? It should work, but looks like it's pushing out some on the outer sections, and pushing in some on the innermost. Is XMF really that clever? I'd have thought not, without actually telling it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doing an A5 job. 4.5 mm overall creep. Gives a -0.28 XMF creep value,

Are using 'Creep face ony' for text pages; Remove Creep for 4 cover pages.

Normally, it would shrink pages progressively through to the centre, but in this case it seems to be pushing the first sections out to around 151mm, and slightly shrinking the centre spread to 147(ish). is this possible? That it could be doing this?

Cheers
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

:embarrassed:  Just checked back on some regular uncoated stock A5 jobs; pages measuring in this way but never really noticed.   :laugh:  let sleeping dogs lie.    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Diddler

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks  :dev2:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

frailer

Seems there is a minor bug, of sorts. I had the idea that we should remove creep from cover pages. Routinely, we leave all text pages as 'Override Creep>'Creep Face Only'. We are told now that if you leave ALL pages this way, it still won't scale the cover in, but all text pages will be. Having said that, you should still be able to set 'Override Creep' for the cover and still get the same result; so they are flagging it as a bug, nevertheless.
If anyone has time, would you mind testing this for me? The main thing I'm looking for is whether it pushes (scales) some of the text out, thereby increasing the overall page widthe, slightly.

Diddler

Quote from: frailer on November 27, 2013, 05:04:49 PMSeems there is a minor bug, of sorts. I had the idea that we should remove creep from cover pages. Routinely, we leave all text pages as 'Override Creep>'Creep Face Only'. We are told now that if you leave ALL pages this way, it still won't scale the cover in, but all text pages will be. Having said that, you should still be able to set 'Override Creep' for the cover and still get the same result; so they are flagging it as a bug, nevertheless.
If anyone has time, would you mind testing this for me? The main thing I'm looking for is whether it pushes (scales) some of the text out, thereby increasing the overall page widthe, slightly.

I'll run some tests later in the day and get back to you with my findings. What version of XMF are you running?

frailer

5.1.1.2  ... by the looks.   :undecided:   You XMF'in' again somewhere, mate?

Diddler

Yeah with a new company printing across 3 states. NSW, VIC, QLD. Although I'm still based in QLD for a while, there thinking of moving me to Sydney but I don't know if I can handle the cold weather and water.  :cold1: and the beer. :laugh:

frailer

Point taken.   :undecided:

frailer

The washup on this is that by using a Pattern impo., it worked as expected/desired... Creep in by 'squishing' the page laterally; resulting in a 148 mm book width. The cover impo was a Stripping Sheet template, but this didn't seem to upset the applecart.

SpicyVindaloo

Does XMF scale the pages for creep or just move them in to the spine? Moving them in isn't so great for crossovers.

Joe

Either way. Your choice.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: SpicyVindaloo on January 23, 2014, 11:02:52 AMDoes XMF scale the pages for creep or just move them in to the spine? Moving them in isn't so great for crossovers.

If you specifically choose "Override Creep'---> 'Creep Face Only', on selected pages from the Reading Order, you get a scale-in. It's imperceptible when bound, but you can check your Creep measurements on proof.
On the 4 cover pages I do an 'Override Creep' --> 'Remove Creep'.
I think PREPS can achieve that as well. It's all I ever use now.

Farabomb

Preps has a scale option in the creep settings. Works quite well. I had a lineart cutaway of a racecar that was in a 114 pg saddle stitched book and it lined up perfectly.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Yeah, even though it may be outa scale by 1~2%, if they don't know, they never notice. But they sure do it they don't line up.