How can I extract information from a Pages file?

Started by Fontaholic, February 16, 2015, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

Customer just sent me a Pages file, and I don't have Pages...

Customer is not especially tech-savvy, and I was hoping someone here could recommend an easy way to extract the info from the Pages file?

Cheers, John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Joe

I have Pages. I can try if you would like. Just send me a link to it either here or via PM if you prefer.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Fontaholic

Hi Joe,

Here is a ZIP archive of the offending Pages file -- thanks! :D

Joe

Here is a PDF of it. I also tried exporting a Word document but it came out as jumbled mess.

Joe

Here is a Word .docx file. It looks much better than a plain old .doc file.

Fontaholic

Wow -- that was quick!!!

Thanks, Joe!  :-D

Designia(o_O)

If I remember correctly if you add the suffix .zip to the pages file you can then unzip it and  find text and images. It worked better with some files than others.

swampymarsh

Quote from: Designia(o_O) on February 16, 2015, 11:42:43 AMIf I remember correctly if you add the suffix .zip to the pages file you can then unzip it and  find text and images. It worked better with some files than others.

This is true for a lot of file formats that are an .xml based "package", you may also find a PDF preview copy in there of the Pages layout as well (probably low res).

If you have an AppleID, then you can use the free beta of the new cloud based Apple iWork!

https://www.apple.com/iwork-for-icloud/

Although Apple Pages can work in CMYK, you may just as likely have RGB or perhaps crazy colour builds and have to run the PDF through Acrobat Pro, PitStop or Callas etc.

.docx files from later versions of MS Word work the same way too, they can be renamed as .zip and then decompressed to access the various assets!