Affinity Publisher released

Started by Syphon, June 11, 2019, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Finally!
Affinity Publisher is about to be released on June 19 or 20, 2019.
I got an invitation email to download it on the 19th. Can't wait!
Still not sure of the name yet.
But if it can do the majority of what ID can do, I guess I can get use to the name.

Maybe I can now delete that old copy of InDesign on my Mac at home.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

It is a basic page layout app. If you are looking for stuff like variable data and other high end features that InDesign has you won't find it in this product. That being said many people don't need those kinds of features.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Oh and good to hear from you Syphon. :hello:

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on June 11, 2019, 10:40:02 AM
Oh and good to hear from you Syphon. :hello:

I think it is what I would need at home.
For some of our customers, it might be better.
The less they can do, the less shit I need to clean up.

Thanks Joe!
Glad you guys are still around. :)

These days I been busy running digital presses and trying to teach kids how to do their job.
Hard to do when they are going to school to be web designers.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

wonderings

I got the offer code in email as well for a reduced price. I will buy it when it is released but that is only as a curiosity and a mild hope that one day Affinity will step up their game and actually try and make software that competes with Adobe.

I have used the beta a bit and then got frustrated with the direction, or lack there of coming from the dev team and realized it would not be an app that I could replace Indesign with for reasons Joe mentioned.

Had some really shoddy PDF handling last I used it, messed up some very basic PDF's made in microsoft office. This is a big deal because I get a lot of crappy little flyers or posters made by customers in office. I always tell them to just save as a PDF and we will print from that. Of course Microsoft Office software is not ideal but it is the reality for a lot of people who do not want to pay me to design or setup something proper and most things are passable... at least they have the right page size.

If Publisher cannot handle these simple PDF's I am not sure I would want to trust it with more complex PDF's.... though properly made PDF's from Adobe software will probably be handled better.

As for the name, I have not heard any indication that they were changing it on release. They really should, there is a sea of apps named Publisher already and one of the most hated apps I would say in pre press is Microsoft Publisher. I dread needing to work or fix files made in Publisher.

Joe

Agreed on the name. Publisher is not ideal. Maybe Indie Lite.

wonderings

The names of their other apps are basic and they work. Designer, Photo... Layout would have been a no brainer and has no negative connotations that come along with it.

Joe

They will probably change it when Microsoft sues them.

Possum

Quote from: Joe on June 11, 2019, 02:51:47 PM
Agreed on the name. Publisher is not ideal. Maybe Indie Lite.

Indie Jr.?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

Quote from: wonderings on June 11, 2019, 02:28:14 PM
I got the offer code in email as well for a reduced price.
Huh, I've had a few of the Beta versions installed but no code emailed.  :cry:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

I got emails too that I can get it 20% off the list price. You don't have to get the email though. Anyone can get it.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/#preorder

wonderings

I like purchasing these sort of apps through the Apple App store. Makes it easy to install on multiple machines. I added Designer and Photo to a few computers here just so they could open PSD or AI files if they wanted to have a quick look before it gets back to prepress.

wonderings

bought Publisher yesterday, have not really tried much with it other then the same PDF I had issues with before and it still does the same thing. Not an app I would ever trust when placing PDF's in it. I am guessing because they are not using the Adobe PDF print engine... or whatever it is called. They mentioned in the forum they would have to pay Adobe for this and to keep the price down they are not.

Trying to save money is not always a good thing when it hinders performance. That being said properly made PDF's seem fine from the few I have tried, it was only a PDF made from Microsoft Word that had trouble.

Possum

I'm sure Affinity knows it can't really compete with Adobe - Adobe's too big now. It can bleed off a lot of customers who are tired of the subscription prison and who don't need all the "new features" each Adobe version brings out. For years, shops skipped buying a CS version not only because of the price, but because there were too few real improvements to justify the cost. Lens flare tool? - yeah, indispensable.

I believe Affinity can get a really good market with good, basic, functional programs, marketed toward those who really work with them rather than the "my Photoshop has more filters than yours does" crowd. If they really listen to their customers about what's needed, I think it will go a long way towards people making the switch. It'll be interesting to watch.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.