News:

Main Menu

.inx files

Started by agent_orange, January 30, 2008, 11:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent_orange

Anybody ever deal with these? I've heard they can be more hassle than they're worth. I just got my first one and can't get it to open. Is there some secret handshake I don't know?

EyeTech

Are you trying to open in CS1? We can open in CS2 & CS3 no problem - but CS1 as I recall although they initially said it could export and import inx, in fact it hadn't been implemented.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

agent_orange

Sorry... should have been more specific. We're running CS2. It's a CS3 file saved in the exchange format.

EyeTech

Never had one that I couldn't open. But then again all our inx files are inhouse - we have 2 workstations with CS3 and one with CS2.

'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

jimking

How did you receive the file? Did the file retain its icon?

agent_orange

Yep, icon's still there. If I open it, the status bar gets almost all the way to the end and then InDesign chokes. I'd be happy to post the inx file and/or the original cs3 file, if anyone wants to take a shot....

jimking

Quote from: agent_orange on January 30, 2008, 12:20:59 PMYep, icon's still there. If I open it, the status bar gets almost all the way to the end and then InDesign chokes. I'd be happy to post the inx file and/or the original cs3 file, if anyone wants to take a shot....
Sure.

Joe

If it is 128 kb or less you can attach it to a post and I can try it when I get to work. Or someone else can give it a go before then.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Hmmm..   stupid question but, are you sure the person saving the file as .inx did it properly within Indesign, or did they just change the extension and send it to you?

Also, do they have any third party plug-ins in their Indesign?..

I've had to work with a few CS3 .inx files and opened them in CS2 just fine..   as well as CS2 .inx files opening in CS, also worked fine.  Its the CS .inx files that do not open in Indesign 2.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on January 30, 2008, 12:48:20 PMHmmm..   stupid question but, are you sure the person saving the file as .inx did it properly within Indesign, or did they just change the extension and send it to you?

I've had to work with a few CS3 .inx files and opened them in CS2 just fine..   as well as CS2 .inx files opening in CS, also worked fine.  Its the CS .inx files that do not open in Indesign 2.

CS2 will open the CS native files and doesn't need the .inx files from a previous version. Backward compatible. :tongue:

jezza

Try a right/option click to summon the 'open with' contextual menu, alternatively launch Indy and use the 'open' menu command. It shouldn't make a difference but sometimes does... Let us know the answer
one sick prepress mofo

agent_orange

If I try to open the cs3 file I get a warning about plug-ins. I assumed that was cs3 (whatever they're using instead of inbooklet, etc), click "continue" to open the document, get the message "cannot open. Please upgrade your plug-ins or upgrade to the latest version of indesign"

agent_orange

I've uploaded the inx package and the cs3 package if anyone wants to take a look. Here's the link...

http://download.yousendit.com/264AEE3A607DA32D

Thanks for the help, guys.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe  on January 30, 2008, 12:56:35 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on January 30, 2008, 12:48:20 PMHmmm..   stupid question but, are you sure the person saving the file as .inx did it properly within Indesign, or did they just change the extension and send it to you?

CS2 will open the CS native files and doesn't need the .inx files from a previous version. Backward compatible. :tongue:

that's not what I said..  Indesign 2 and CS2 are different..  Indesign 2 was a version before CS.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on January 30, 2008, 01:42:26 PM
Quote from: Joe  on January 30, 2008, 12:56:35 PM

that's not what I said..  Indesign 2 and CS2 are different..  Indesign 2 was a version before CS.

Oops. Yes you are correct. Still have a customer using it actually.