Need a Replacement NAS

Started by David, June 23, 2020, 09:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: scottrsimons on July 08, 2020, 01:17:44 PM
Talking about Synology NAS, I just found out about a small little issue that didn't come up until we've had an unit for a year or two. If you are using 'Recycle Bin' for your shares, you should also setup a 'Task Scheduler' event to empty that recycle bin. Otherwise you will find out that the 'recycle bin' will take up a whole lot of space. We have a 70TB NAS that was down to only 4TB free. I found the spot to empty the recycle bin on the shares and to also make it a task. And now we have 18TB free.
Looks like it's time to start looking to add on to our NAS again.  :banghead:

What? But that is where everyone stores their really, Really, REALLY important files!!!!!!!!!11
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

yes, I saw the recycle bin and didn't really think about it. I didn't think I turned it on, but it had a folder there anyway. I just went in and checked again, it was there but not enabled, so I was able to delete it.

so far, it's quiet as a mouse and has been quite speedy at adding and restoring files.

fingers crossed

:banana:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Does anybody know if you can hotswap a functioning drive in a NAS? The support says you can hotswap a degraded or non-functioning drive in the XRAID, but says nothing about a functioning drive...

[edit] I think I found the answer... https://kb.netgear.com/21415/How-do-I-expand-an-existing-X-RAID-volume-with-larger-disks

https://kb.netgear.com/23133/How-can-I-expand-the-storage-capacity-of-an-existing-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

I am removing the 2 5400rpm 2tb drives with new 7200rpm 8tb drives. The 5400s haven't failed yet, but on occasion they make whining and groaning noises, so I am certain one, if not both, will soon fail. I had an opportunity to upgrade, so I am.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I believe you can. It just has to rebuild the data for it like swapping a new drive for non-functioning drive. I have to ask though why you want to do this though?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2020, 11:01:38 AM
I believe you can. It just has to rebuild the data for it like swapping a new drive for non-functioning drive. I have to ask though why you want to do this though?
I edited my post above...

QuoteI am removing the 2 5400rpm 2tb drives with new 7200rpm 8tb drives. The 5400s haven't failed yet, but on occasion they make whining and groaning noises, so I am certain one, if not both, will soon fail. I had an opportunity to upgrade, so I am.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

OK. I was wondering if you were maybe adding larger drives. If you do that you won't see the extra space as it always makes the new one the same size as the other drives in the RAID. Just do one drive at a time though. Let it finish rebuilding. Then do the other one.

The only way to get the extra space is to backup everything. Power the unit down. Install all new drives. Create the new array. Restore the backup data.

DigiCorn

Just swapped one of the drives for now. Looks like it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. At 0.14% of rebuilding after a couple of minutes. This might take a while...

[edit] Logged into the Netgear software.... it says 7hr 49min
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

OK I see in your link Netgear says you can do this one disk at a time and it will expand the X-RAID after a re-boot. I've never tried it before. Good luck.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 30, 2020, 11:11:11 AM
Just swapped one of the drives for now. Looks like it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. At 0.14% of rebuilding after a couple of minutes. This might take a while...

[edit] Logged into the Netgear software.... it says 7hr 49min

Yeah it is not a fast operation though I've seen the start time be longer than the actual time it takes.

DigiCorn

It appears to have gained some speed and leveled out. Only a little over 5 hrs to go... and it's at 17.35%. In addition to upgrading the storage capacity, I should be gaining some speed as well going from 5400 to 7200.

In other news, you can still buy a 2gb Jaz from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Iomega-10600-Formatted-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00004Y2PP
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

I still have an internal Jazz drive in my Blue G3 Mac....

:banana: :banana:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

scottrsimons

Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2020, 11:12:29 AM
OK I see in your link Netgear says you can do this one disk at a time and it will expand the X-RAID after a re-boot. I've never tried it before. Good luck.
Synology NAS will expand the RAID without needing the reboot. Replace the drive and let the RAID rebuild, and it will then show it being expanded. Very nice.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

DigiCorn

well that worked well  :sarcasm:.... it got to 99.40% after 6-7 hours and then took another 2+ hours to finish up... then it started flashing "DEAD" on the screen. The website said to refresh and reboot, so I did and it now shows as all 4 drives corrupted. Going to put the original drive back in this a.m. and see what happens.  :strangle:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Man it's a good thing you did a current backup before starting that...

DigiCorn

No. I didn't do a backup. But I also didn't care. It was only hosting a couple of hundred movies, and a backup of my other NAS. I can rewrite them all again, but this time with subtitles and director commentary, etc. Putting the old disk back in didn't change anything. It's a few weeks worth of work to rewrite all those flicks, but what else am I really doing now? And from a tech standpoint, reformatting and recreating the XRAID from scratch is really a more proper way to do it.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway