Acrobat excessive RAM usage

Started by DPSprint, October 04, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

DPSprint

Quote from: sgrhill on October 27, 2017, 02:14:59 AMI think I found the solution regarding my Acrobat Pro problem.
Please read the comments I've made on the Adobe forum.
cool... although I dont know if it will help in our case, most of us with the issue are using pitstop 17... would be frustrating if it was to do with pitstop though cos it does so much.

So I figured I would try a clean install of pitstop 17 (just in case) but it hasnt made a difference.

pspdfppdfxhd

Oooops, it did it again.

I'm only getting it about once a week, should be grateful I suppose.

Joe

What is this CEPHtmlEngine?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on October 31, 2017, 10:25:03 AMWhat is this CEPHtmlEngine?
mmmmm, googled it, dont have time to check it out but looks like a culprit...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1961935

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on October 31, 2017, 10:25:03 AMWhat is this CEPHtmlEngine?

its running 6 times on that list, one of those is taking up over 59mb.

Joe

I do have the CEPHtmlEngine in activity monitor if I launch InDesign or Photoshop but they go away when I close them. In your screen shot it shows it in Red as "Not responding" which could be a problem.

DPSprint

I find that if acrobat stops responding, indesign follows and then any other adobe ones pretty quickly... I think they are probably the biggest ram users anyway

Joe

We have a few older macs here with only 8 gb of ram and running CC 2018 without the issues of running out of ram.

DPSprint

yeah its friggen annoying... and TBH I dont think its anything to do with the computers or the RAM amount... it is really bizarre to just watch it climb exponentially over a couple of minutes from a gb to 30 and its only acrobat, nothing else ever does it, some sort of acrobat conflict must be causing it.
Just hope its not pitstop, but I cant work without pitstop so havent been able to try it without it installed to see if it is part of the issue.

pspdfppdfxhd

Not regarding Acrobat, but regarding InDesign, this has happened 2x this week. Just upgraded to 2018 last week.

Ball started spinning, InDesign became unusable, checked activity monitor and watched the memory usage grow from 12GB, slowly up to 22GB. Had to force quit, took a screen shot after the force quit showing the memory pressure at the time.

Couldn't take a screen shot before the force quit.

pspdfppdfxhd

sorry, wrong screen shot. Here it is.

Joe

Last screen shot doesn't show InDesign. And it shows you are only using a little over 5 gb of your 16 gb of ram. That seems normal to me.