OS 10.5.8 taking 15 minutes to boot up

Started by gnubler, September 14, 2010, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on December 16, 2011, 12:45:18 PMkthx

Prolly won't be tackling that part until next week.

Prolly take till Xmas for you to get around to it.    :tongue:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Wrong, friendo!

New HD successfully installed yesterday. Spent today making an 8th copy of my files before I reformat the new drive. I'll tackle it tonight.

Please pray I don't have to do a fresh reinstall of everything.

p.s. Joe, it took under an hour and I think only 3 f-words were uttered. Only 1 by me.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on December 19, 2011, 02:45:14 PMWrong, friendo!

New HD successfully installed yesterday. Spent today making an 8th copy of my files before I reformat the new drive. I'll tackle it tonight.

Please pray I don't have to do a fresh reinstall of everything.

p.s. Joe, it took under an hour and I think only 3 f-words were uttered. Only 1 by me.

See how easy that was. Try it on a white intel mac and your f-word will rise dramatically...before you even get it open.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

No thanks. The whole procedure was retarded. I might be selling the iMac back to its original owner. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on December 16, 2011, 12:43:14 PMYou can boot off of an install DVD, run disk utility and clone the external to the new HD after initializing. Just make sure when you partition it you go into options and select GUID Partition Table. Once it is cloned make sure to change the startup disk to the new HD.

^^ This is what I ended up doing. In Disk Utility there's a tab for Restore and I chose my backup as the source and new HD as destination (obviously). It took about 4 hours and everything appears to be as it was B4 the crash. The only oddities were that my desktop bg was the default & some Finder icons back to default. No big deal.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on December 20, 2011, 03:57:40 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 16, 2011, 12:43:14 PMYou can boot off of an install DVD, run disk utility and clone the external to the new HD after initializing. Just make sure when you partition it you go into options and select GUID Partition Table. Once it is cloned make sure to change the startup disk to the new HD.

^^ This is what I ended up doing. In Disk Utility there's a tab for Restore and I chose my backup as the source and new HD as destination (obviously). It took about 4 hours and everything appears to be as it was B4 the crash. The only oddities were that my desktop bg was the default & some Finder icons back to default. No big deal.

Now you can take the test to be verified as "Apple Certified". You'll be a God(ess) at Starbucks!

frailer

Or a job at the Genius Bar.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

frailer

tapdn

Really... I can just picture our Gnub working the Genius Bar with all those Mac Addicts. :lmao:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on December 20, 2011, 08:36:52 PMReally... I can just picture our Gnub working the Genius Bar with all those Mac Addicts. :lmao:

DOOMED!™

tapdn

"Good morning, Sir. How may I be of assistance?"
Woke this morning and still laughing over that mental image!

:rolleyes:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb