Digital Press

Started by Joe, February 17, 2011, 12:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

It appears my company is thinking of getting a digital press. The 3 I've heard mentioned are a Ryobi, Kodak Nexpress, and a DI. No specifics. Which is better and should I:

a: run for the hills

or

b: embrace it?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Joe, I'm going through the same thing. My boss is somewhat whimsical and had been talking about bringing in another offset press for months, but suddenly we got a new color copier and this week we're doing demos for wide-format inkjet printers.

Printing is DEAD DEAD DEAD. Doomed.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

At my age I'm not sure I'm up to all that learnin' that will be needed. Youston works with a Nexpress and my mind almost explodes every time he talks about it.

gnubler

Youston makes me explode also, but for different reasons. Are you really against learning new things? Personally, I think you're just ready to move on - I feel the same way and I'm 15 years behind you.

I'm thinking about becoming a locksmith, actually.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Prepress has gotten really boring because there is not much of a challenge most days. Open a PDF, maybe do a minor fix, close PDF. Repeat 200 times. Blah. :sleepy:

gnubler

I know what you mean. Most of what I do is opening archived files, making a change, print. Press repeat. The rest is crap Word/Pub files that consume half of my day. Looks like I'm getting back into web dev again.  :death:

Stiv

David

Quote from: Joe on February 17, 2011, 12:24:31 AMIt appears my company is thinking of getting a digital press. The 3 I've heard mentioned are a Ryobi, Kodak Nexpress, and a DI. No specifics. Which is better and should I:

a: run for the hills

or

b: embrace it?

I would embrace the hills...

and I'm going through the same thing here Joe, doing a lot of research on these digital "copiers", VDP, and all the assorted apps and functions.

in my opinion, you can do good with any of the above, and you can also get screwed with any of the above. You just have to get one, find out what doesn't "work", and then figure a work-around. Kinda like the good ole days of prepress.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

Run for the hills.

My new bossman is sending me to Kinkos tomorrow to see how they have the machines set up. He wants to make the storefront like a Kinkos. I miss offset.......so very very much.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

beck

Miss it?

Haven't you only been out of it a month or so?

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

youston

Quote from: Joe on February 17, 2011, 01:47:28 AMPrepress has gotten really boring because there is not much of a challenge most days. Open a PDF, maybe do a minor fix, close PDF. Repeat 200 times. Blah. :sleepy:

Your life will not change much with the NexPress. In fact, it will get much more boring. Prepping for the NexPress (as opposed to offset) is almost a joke. It's the running and maintaining of the damned thing that will cause significant hair loss. Oh, and the salespeople who expect you to match color between the NexPress and an offset press. That's pretty annoying.

If you also move into VDP, however, things get a little more ... interesting.

gnubler

Quote from: youston on February 17, 2011, 09:08:48 AMOh, and the salespeople who expect you to match color between the NexPress and an offset press. That's pretty annoying.

I get this all the time and just have to wonder why someone would think I could suddenly match a digital sheet to an offset sheet, even after I've repeated 100 times it's not realistically possible.

Skryber

We've been down since October 10th.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

youston

Quote from: gnubler on February 17, 2011, 09:41:47 AM
Quote from: youston on February 17, 2011, 09:08:48 AMOh, and the salespeople who expect you to match color between the NexPress and an offset press. That's pretty annoying.

I get this all the time and just have to wonder why someone would think I could suddenly match a digital sheet to an offset sheet, even after I've repeated 100 times it's not realistically possible.

You're off your game, using this word in reference to salespeople. Is everything okay?

tapdn

Quote from: Joe on February 17, 2011, 01:47:28 AMPrepress has gotten really boring because there is not much of a challenge most days. Open a PDF, maybe do a minor fix, close PDF. Repeat 200 times. Blah. :sleepy:

Exactly why I took early retirement, Joe. Well said. :hello:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb