XMPie question

Started by Stiv, March 07, 2011, 01:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

I have a new install of XMPie v5 on a new iMac running CS5.

When I dynamic print I get a PS file but XMPie errors on the creation of the PDF. I can distill the PS file without error.

The error I get is:
Failed in producing PDF. (duh)
EPS sidelining is off
File-per-page is off
Image sidelining is off
Write PDF via callbacks is on
CantHappen called - error id = 654311427

Any ideas?

David

no help, but...

does that last line say "Cant Happen"?
but it did, WTF?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

:laugh:

The programmers should throw a "doomed" in the code here & there. Make it all serious and hardcore.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Stiv

It really says "CantHappen".
I suspect that XMPie uses another location for the distiller settings and my User doesn't have permission or the settings are not installed in that location for XMPie to access. It also may be that XMPie does not use Distiller but another App (their own version of Normalizer?) and the permissions or links to settings is broken as well.

DigiCorn

Is there a free XMPie plugin for ID to set up files, without having to buy the XMPie application? Heard a rumor there is.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

AFAIK, you can download and install it and use it, just not for output.

IDK, you try it. :)

DigiCorn

I'm using PDFLib blocks, and supposedly you can use the XMPie plugin for ID to export to PDF with the blocks already written. Supposedly it speeds up the process. The guy training me on PDFLib blocks has hinted at this, but hasn't gotten into any details yet.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiSig on March 08, 2011, 09:01:34 AMIs there a free XMPie plugin for ID to set up files, without having to buy the XMPie application? Heard a rumor there is.

Be careful. Someone before me did that and it tags all Indy files created while the plugin is installed. You'll forever get the alert about the missing plugin when opening those files. There are workarounds, but it's a PITA. (If we're talking about the same thing, that is)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on March 08, 2011, 09:22:22 AMBe careful. Someone before me did that and it tags all Indy files created while the plugin is installed. You'll forever get the alert about the missing plugin when opening those files. There are workarounds, but it's a PITA. (If we're talking about the same thing, that is)
Well aware. I still pick up old files from when we were demo-ing XMPie before be bought FP. FP tags them too - people I send native files to ask me about it. I have to remember to export as .idx or .idml and then open on a machine where I don't have the plugin installed and resave (I would send them the .idx or .idml file, but we all know how stupid non B4Print members are - they'd just call and ask what it was we sent, not knowing).
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: Stiv on March 08, 2011, 07:34:43 AMIt really says "CantHappen".
I suspect that XMPie uses another location for the distiller settings and my User doesn't have permission or the settings are not installed in that location for XMPie to access. It also may be that XMPie does not use Distiller but another App (their own version of Normalizer?) and the permissions or links to settings is broken as well.

FWIW  our workflow with xmpie is as folows:

Dynamic print to .PS
Distill via hotfolder on a box somewhere.

The PDF dynamic print in xmpie is a FAIL, flat out, not worth the risk, unless you created the document from scratch and are sure everything is native and cool - it will bite you in the ass as it just randomly will unembed fonts, particularly when refrying quark PDFs that are otherwise fine and have the fonts embedded. This is a huge problem as when you get a job in quack that needs variable, your choices are pretty limited on how to handle it in xmpie.

God help you if you have native transparency though... :)

Fortunately most of what we're doing is imprinting on shells printed litho, so text, some images, mailing stuff.

We're buried under a shitstorm of variable imaging work, they're getting another Oce varioprint ultra here. Probably will need another operator, and will be upgrading to the top level version of this crappy software - "PersonalEffect Print"

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

PEP?  :laugh: Any connection to the beloved PAP suite of software with its SMEAR plugin?

Stiv

Ok, the issue was a conflict with Acrobat and XMPie. Apparently they don't play nice and IT had to remove a file somewhere.

The question I have now is where does XMPie pick up the PDF settings from? There isn't any place to choose what PDF profile to export to.

youston

Quote from: Stiv on March 09, 2011, 11:46:52 AMOk, the issue was a conflict with Acrobat and XMPie. Apparently they don't play nice and IT had to remove a file somewhere.

The question I have now is where does XMPie pick up the PDF settings from? There isn't any place to choose what PDF profile to export to.

There isn't. I've been outputting to .ps and distilling pdf's for proofing forever.

If you'll look in your settings when you do a regular PDF export, you'll see there are two settings relating to XMPie -- XMPieQualityProof and XMPieQualityHigh. But you never have the option to choose between them, from what I've been able to tell. The uProduce server switches between them depending upon whether you're 'proofing' or 'processing' a job, but as a uDirect user with no server environment, I think you're stuck with distilling .ps files. If you find out any differently, please let me know!

t-pat

I wish I could say "CantHappen" and have someone believe me :)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Stiv

I am currently using Dynamic Print to PS file and printing that.

The RIP was just PSing the PDF I was sending anyway. Working a lot better now.