Error Printing Smart Stream JYLT file

Started by littly_kittly, August 17, 2012, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littly_kittly

Hi

I have created a JYLT file. But when it goes to the printer, they get the following error messages:

(The orange bits are the file name).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Slappy

Has a referenced object in the layout changed without the press operator loading it at the Indigo? Or maybe one of the objects is corrupt. It's really hard to troubleshoot something like this without access to either the design assets or the RIP system on the Indigo.

I'd offer to test it, but I no longer have that ability sadly.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

littly_kittly

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

I asked the printer to replace all the assets with new copies.

He now seems to be getting the following messages:

What's the best way of starting to troubleshoot such problems? I'm really not sure where to start.

If I create a JYLT in Rich Format (e.g. where the data is embedded in the JYLT) everything prints fine.
It's only when I use Fast Template that the problems start.

Slappy

Are they willing to take all of the "live" files and create the JYLT themselves, it's the only way I can think to track down the problem. They'd have to do both the Fast Template & Rich Format also, and you'd have to trust that they actually DO that and see what happens.

I know it's tough exporting into a format like this when you really can't see what's happening upstream at the press, I just hope they're experienced enough to track down the thing causing the problems.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

littly_kittly

I've created a new file where I have removed all rotated and scaled objects.
I've also run a preflight and it has no errors.

However, when the file is run on the press, it comes with the following error messages:
test3_20375_covers Number of columns in database does not match number of columns referenced in the job: Columns 152, Fields 599 OBJ 1 0

Does anyone have any ideas?

The file has to be in Fast Template, so the printing company can easily add data from the database to create new files.

littly_kittly

In addition to the above post:
When I click on "Verify Database" in Smartstream, it comes up with the following message:
"Some DB report rows contain more fields than the DB header."

What does this mean?

Slappy

It sounds like what it says - a discrepancy in the number of fields in original database file vs. what's being imported at the press. I'd either make sure the Excel/DB file being being used by yourself & the printer are still exactly the same (and maybe get their data set & preview it yourself) or get in touch with HP Tech Support. Do you have access to the DScoop forums? There used to be some good people there, might be able to get an answer that way.

littly_kittly

Thanks for your help!

Does it matter if the database file has fields which are not used in the actual Indesign/Smart stream job?

test3_20375_covers Number of columns in database does not match number of columns referenced in the job: Columns 152, Fields 599 OBJ 1 0
^ Does the above error message relate to the DB report error message?

Thanks again for your help.

Is this DScoop link. Can you access it for Free or do you have to pay?

Slappy

Quote from: littly_kittly on August 21, 2012, 03:20:05 PMDoes it matter if the database file has fields which are not used in the actual Indesign/Smart stream job?
I believe that it does matter, try to make sure that the database file matches the InDesign/SmartStream input exactly.

And yeah, DScoop is a paid organization but it's the only official source of online help for Indigos & the software. Probably overkill since you're on the design side instead of the vendor though.

littly_kittly

After lots of troubleshooting, I have found that the problem lies with the images.
Are there any special settings that have to be used when using images with a fast template smart stream file?

I have saved my images as an EPS.

Slappy

QuoteAre there any special settings that have to be used when using images with a fast template smart stream file?
I honestly can't recall, is your print provider helpful at all? These are the kinds of things they should know, but it sounds like you're on the right track at least!