Xante Ilumina

Started by Slappy, October 08, 2012, 11:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on October 15, 2012, 01:44:40 PMThe only thing it is good for is the 4 color envelopes
that aren't worth printing IMO
That's all they bought it to do, so hopefully it won't suck too bad at it. I still see no info on how to send VDP jobs over, say for a merged address kind of match mailing.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

we make pdfs with a page for each record, and send that. In reverse order.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 15, 2012, 02:55:35 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 15, 2012, 02:24:05 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on October 15, 2012, 02:17:12 PM
Quote from: Tracy on October 15, 2012, 01:44:40 PMaren't worth printing IMO
what is? except paychecks

You still get printed paychecks? How 19990's... :tongue:
typo?

No charge for the extra 9. We're running a special on them this week.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Quote from: t-pat on October 15, 2012, 03:04:59 PMwe make pdfs with a page for each record, and send that. In reverse order.
Ah, okay. That seems - cumbersome. But wtf do I know?  :shoots_self:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on October 15, 2012, 03:58:23 PM
Quote from: t-pat on October 15, 2012, 03:04:59 PMwe make pdfs with a page for each record, and send that. In reverse order.
Ah, okay. That seems - cumbersome. But wtf do I know?  :shoots_self:

to clarify, we use xmpie, and we output the entire list and make one pdf with many pages. Since the rip on ours sucks nutz we then extract the first page of this multiple page pdf and call it "setup" for the operator to use to get the whole rigged mess in position. It doesn't allow sending a page range or "current page" for some reason - and this is an embedded Fiery on the device. POS.
vdp donkey

Slappy

Yeah, we've got the XMPie too, although for some reason the Prep Mgr keeps stalling me when I say I want to get familiar with it. Our RIP on the Xante is called iQueue (how fuckin' original) and it doesn't seem to have many features either. I think I'll do an InDesign Merged PDF of a few hundred records & see how it handles that.

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on October 16, 2012, 12:10:51 PMYeah, we've got the XMPie too, although for some reason the Prep Mgr keeps stalling me when I say I want to get familiar with it. Our RIP on the Xante is called iQueue (how fuckin' original) and it doesn't seem to have many features either. I think I'll do an InDesign Merged PDF of a few hundred records & see how it handles that.

You'll probably have to output them in reverse order if you have a presort. Who knows?
vdp donkey

Duffy

Quote from: Slappy on October 16, 2012, 12:10:51 PMYeah, we've got the XMPie too, although for some reason the Prep Mgr keeps stalling me when I say I want to get familiar with it. Our RIP on the Xante is called iQueue (how fuckin' original) and it doesn't seem to have many features either. I think I'll do an InDesign Merged PDF of a few hundred records & see how it handles that.

Have the same RIP on my Illumina DPP (POS) and I always end up making a multiple page PDF file and sending it...till the HD fills up and crashes in the middle of the run.  Then I go back, delete the pages it has run and start again....I have felt like throwing this thing out the window many times...doing that as we speak for the third time this run :deadhorse:
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

Slappy

Hrm, you're not exactly filling me with confidence for this fantastic new Business Opportunity!

t-pat

These toy presses have limitations, all of them. Sell the work right and don't exceed the machine's limitations too much and it'll be ok.
vdp donkey

Slappy

Quote from: t-pat on October 16, 2012, 01:37:42 PM

You'll probably have to output them in reverse order if you have a presort. Who knows?
I did a small test run last night on some #10 envelopes from XM Pie. How do I reverse the PDF printing order though?

Ahhhh, in the Acrobat options - I see.

t-pat

we do it in command workstation but yeah acrobat if that's what you're sending it from
vdp donkey

gnubler

My customers do it in Adobe. Or Microsoft. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Quote from: t-pat on October 18, 2012, 06:12:24 PMwe do it in command workstation but yeah acrobat if that's what you're sending it from
Since it's Xante and not Xerox, I don't think it has Command Workstation access. Once I get into XM Pie a little more I bet there's a way to generate the file in reverse.

Oh, and if they think this machine can run un-attended – ain't happening. I had to crank out 450 #10s Friday, for a waiting driver of course, and when I stepped away to do something on my Mac for a minute, the envelopes got just a little skewed & about 100 of them were so out of square they were trash.

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on October 20, 2012, 09:15:43 PM
Quote from: t-pat on October 18, 2012, 06:12:24 PMwe do it in command workstation but yeah acrobat if that's what you're sending it from
Since it's Xante and not Xerox, I don't think it has Command Workstation access. Once I get into XM Pie a little more I bet there's a way to generate the file in reverse.

Oh, and if they think this machine can run un-attended – ain't happening. I had to crank out 450 #10s Friday, for a waiting driver of course, and when I stepped away to do something on my Mac for a minute, the envelopes got just a little skewed & about 100 of them were so out of square they were trash.

ours isn't xerox either, it is "made" by PSI. They're both a xerox engine, but the rest of the rollercoaster ride for the envelopes and the firmware are not.

Yeah, it doesn't run unattended. Never seen envelopes that did, not on a press either.
vdp donkey