Can't send to Fiery RIP on Macs

Started by Slappy, October 17, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

This is weird, we have 2 Macs on 10.6.8 and neither one can send to our Fiery RIP running the DC260 machine. The 3rd Mac that's on 10.4.11 sends fine. I've trashed my Printer Setups in the Prefs & recreated them, no go. The jobs go to my local queue, but as soon as they land there, the Printer goes into Hold mode & I can't Resume it. What's up with that??
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Ah, we did have to install Rosetta on these 2 Macs recently and that appears to be what buggered it. We've enable Sharing on the one Mac that still does see the Fiery, but that's not a long-term solution.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

So they used to work? Assuming then it's not the whole doing away with AppleTalk in 10.6.x then. It is not setup as an Appletalk printer right?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

It is Appletalk, and I see by a quick Google that this is a Known Issue. Researching workarounds now...

DigiCorn

@Slappy - same issue here. The lower DC Fierys have NO driver support for Windows 7 and above and NO driver support on Macs 10.6 and up. The latest driver WILL NOT work on 10.6.8, but the version just before will (the one glitch is that when it gets to the Fiery, there's a field that the Fiery ignores in "Scale to Fit," but I blank it out before releasing jobs just to be safe).

[edit] I think it's the one attached...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Yeah, 10.6.8 don't do Appletalk. I tried a few workarounds back when it came out and never did find anything that was satisfactory. You should be able to  setup hot folders for the fiery and drop the PDF's in them?

DigiCorn

Set up the HOLD queue through LPD with IP address.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 17, 2012, 11:30:17 AMSet up the HOLD queue through LPD with IP address.
That's how we have/had it configured & it no work any more.

Joe: Not sure, I'll look into that. I was trying to setup Hot Folders on the XC1000 earlier in the week & didn't see a way to do it, so I bet this smaller Fiery isn't capable either.

DigiCorn

@Slappy - is your Fiery static or DHCP? If it's DHCP, check the IP and make sure your router didn't assign a new one that's different.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked, it seems to be holding okay.

Quote from: "Joe"Yeah, 10.6.8 don't do Appletalk
But, we've been on 10.6.8 for a while now & it worked okay. Why would installing Rosetta suddenly bork it? I think from what I've read so far, it has something to do with a CUPS file being replaced, and therein lies the workaround.

Slappy

This guy extracted the necessary files from 10.6.7 that become unstable with the 10.6.8 update and made a nice little replacement script. Think I'll give it a whirl & see what happens.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on October 17, 2012, 12:00:40 PMYeah, that was the first thing I checked, it seems to be holding okay.

Quote from: "Joe"Yeah, 10.6.8 don't do Appletalk
But, we've been on 10.6.8 for a while now & it worked okay. Why would installing Rosetta suddenly bork it? I think from what I've read so far, it has something to do with a CUPS file being replaced, and therein lies the workaround.

Are you really, really, really sure the OS X 10.6 print queues are setup as Appletalk? If so I can't explain because the official word from Apple is:

Mac 101: Printing (Mac OS X v10.6)

QuoteAppleTalk-based printers

AppleTalk is a protocol that is not supported in Mac OS X v10.6.  Many network printers have support for IP-based printing protocols that can be used instead of AppleTalk.  Please see the "To add a printer via the Print & Fax preferences pane" section for information about how to add a printer using IP.  Or, visit your printer vendor's website or contact your printer vendor for technical support.

If your printer can only use the AppleTalk protocol, the printer can be used if it is connected to, and shared by, an appropriate AppleTalk-capable printer server.  Snow Leopard can then use that print share to print via a supported IP-based protocol.  See the "How to add a printer" section above for details about how to connect to a shared printer to your Snow Leopard-based Mac.

Slappy

Truth be told, I'm not really, really, really sure of anything these days! :embarrassed:

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

It's on the network, trust me. Since the one Mac here still on 10.4.11 prints to it, I'm positive it was the Rosetta install we did to the other 2 recently. I can't apply this patch I found until my work is done and I can Repair Permissions & restart but I'll report back when I get that far.