Macs label HP printer drivers as malware

Started by Joe, October 26, 2020, 07:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Macs label HP printer drivers as malware, breaks printing for some

We ran into this issue at work last Friday. We couldn't print to any of our HP Printers from Mac OS X Mojave or Catalina. We have one HP printer that is new enough to be able to install it with AirPrint so we can now print to one printer but none of our other HP Printers from our Macs (Mojave and Catalina). Might be time to move on from HP Printers.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I have an HPOfficeJet Pro 6968 scanner/printer/fax at home and I can use it from anywhere (Mac/Windows/iOS/Chromebook). It works best when running the HP Smart app. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hp-smart/id469284907
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It appears people where I work can print to them today that couldn't last Friday. They probably sent out an update over there weekend to update the security certificates on the HP Printers.

DHG

This issue just appeared for me this week. It's a desktop BW printer that I don't print to very often. As a workaround, I deleted the printer and added back using Generic Postscript Printer.

scottrsimons

I had given up on HP printers a few years ago (maybe more like 5-10) and switched to Brother. I used to love HP, but the drivers back then were starting to get flaky then.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

born2print

We have our 2nd HP (copy, scan, print, photo, etc..) at home and love it... but most often print from a phone or tablet, and occasionally from a PC.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

I gave up on color printing at home. I don't use it enough to justify the crazy price of color ink just to let it get dried up in the print head. Every time I needed to print something in color I had to go buy a new cartridge and sometimes a new printer. I bought a cheap Brother B&W laser printer for home to print important documents. If I actually need something printed in color at home I take it to work and print it.  :smiley:

Joe

Quote from: born2print on October 27, 2020, 11:11:53 AM
We have our 2nd HP (copy, scan, print, photo, etc..) at home and love it... but most often print from a phone or tablet, and occasionally from a PC.

My wife wanted to print out a recipe from her tablet to my printer so she printed the whole web page which was around 40 sheets of paper. The recipe was about 10 lines on page 22.

:facepalm:

delooch

Quote from: Joe on October 27, 2020, 11:38:10 AM
I gave up on color printing at home. I don't use it enough to justify the crazy price of color ink just to let it get dried up in the print head. Every time I needed to print something in color I had to go buy a new cartridge and sometimes a new printer. I bought a cheap Brother B&W laser printer for home to print important documents. If I actually need something printed in color at home I take it to work and print it.  :smiley:

i get the question "what printer do you use at home?" alot.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: yeah, its a $280k Ricoh that i hate with a passion. I just happen to keep it in my office at work.

I have a canon MX490 at home. Ive been making work pay for ink as part of work expenses for my covid 19 vacations.

scottrsimons

I get that same question. A lot of people want color, and I try and talk them away from it for the same reasons joe said. Which are also the same reasons I don't have one at home. You want color go to Kinkos. Oh right, they aren't around anymore. Goto UPS store or Staples.
But short answer, just get a laser. It can sit for a year or more, and then when you go to print, it will print without a "head being clogged". And more times than not, it's a cheaper ROI.
I replaced a HP LJ4000, only because I didn't like that I had to turn it on when I wanted to print. And toner was getting hard to find. And I just didn't want to deal with that beast anymore. I got a little Brother that stays on 24/7 and has EnergySaver so it powers itself down when not in use. Powers up when I need it, and can print from any device in the house, almost. And it was cheap and small.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

born2print

We had that clogged issue, didn't use enough and sat with empty cartridge(s) so got a new one, now I buy the huge and 1/2 priced inks and ignore the empty warnings because they're not empty. Works well so far.
I just got tired of waiting to print at work. I WANT IT NOW!!
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

joch230

Mine came up with this attached message and I am on High Sierra. It say the system extension wasn't loaded properly. It's been loaded a long time. Our HP printers are like the Cuban cars that they just fix over and over. We need them to print the barcodes on our PO's. HP has a bar code dimm that Xerox walkup prints don't offer.

After reading that some of yours worked today, I tried and mine printed today, as well. Trend may have been blocking it as someone mentioned.

DigiCorn

I have 3 printers at home... a Samsung ML-2510 B&W Laser, an HP 6968 and a Canon Pixma i110. The Samsung we use for school reports and stuff. The HP for scanning, mostly, and some regular everyday stuff (like properly printed recipes) and the Canon for photos. I ended up doing a subscription for the color printers on Amazon for ink every 3 months or so... and the photo paper for the Canon. I try to print stuff at least every week to keep the ink flowing so it doesn't clog/clot up.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: joch230 on October 27, 2020, 12:58:16 PM
Mine came up with this attached message and I am on High Sierra. It say the system extension wasn't loaded properly. It's been loaded a long time. Our HP printers are like the Cuban cars that they just fix over and over. We need them to print the barcodes on our PO's. HP has a bar code dimm that Xerox walkup prints don't offer.

After reading that some of yours worked today, I tried and mine printed today, as well. Trend may have been blocking it as someone mentioned.

The issue mentioned in this thread only affected Mojave and Catalina users and the issue was resolved by Monday as we could again print that day to our HP printers. It sounds like the problem you were having was your Mac just needed a re-boot or Maybe HP did something on High Sierra also but there was no publicity about it.