News:

Main Menu

Acrobat save issue

Started by DigiCorn, September 10, 2019, 11:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Ok... I'm still working trying to get this new (old) shop up to speed, and it's a Windows 10 box with CC2019 saving files to some kind of NAS/Linux external drive... I physically don't know where the thing is... Anyway the point is, from Acrobat ONLY, I can't edit a file and save it. It FORCES me to rename the file before saving it. I can't save it over the existing name. Any ideas? I have no idea how this guy was doing his job.... maybe that's why he went insane and bailed...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Might be a permissions issue on the NAS. Since you can save to a new name to the folder sounds like that permission is OK but when you try to save as and use the same name it has to delete the original file so maybe you do not have permission to delete on that folder/drive. Though if you can save over files from other apps that might shoot that theory in the butt.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I'm setting that now, but it's still processing
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Problems went away...

...and then returned
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I really need help on this one. I don't think it's a permissions error because I can resave over existing ID, Illy, PS, Excel, etc. but can't save over an existing Acrobat file. It really sucks to have to give the file a new name every time, delete, and then rename.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Just_A_Mac_Guy

Could the PDF be saving with security turned on? Are you using someone else's PDF presets?

Joe

So if you make changes to a PDF and you try to just 'Save' it won't save. Or are you trying 'Save As' and then it won't let you save with the same name? Or both?

Joe

Do you have the file selected in Windows Explorer with the 'Preview' option turned on?

http://khkonsulting.com/2014/01/who-is-hogging-my-file/

DigiCorn

No. It occurs when I rip a PDF from ID, and then I edit the PDF and click on the Save icon. But here's the pisser: if I go back to ID, and rip the PDF, it WILL overwrite the existing file. Ditto from Illy and PS.

I only can't overwrite the file from Acrobat.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I know you said the PC is "Windows 10 box with CC2019" so we are talking about Acrobat DC right?

So just for kicks make a folder on the desktop of the Windows PC and put a PDF in there. Open it in Acrobat and make a change and try to overwrite it there. If that works then it sounds like it would point to an issue with the NAS.

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I'm thinking when you open the PDF into Acrobat from the NAS that the OS of the NAS is locking the file because it is open. The OS should unlock it when you "Save" or Save AS" and use the same name but for some reason it isn't.

Another test. Drag the PDF from the NAS to your Windows desktop. Open it in Acrobat and do a Save As to the NAS and try to overwrite the file. My guess is that it will let you do it then. But hey...I've been wrong before. ;D

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

We will consider it confirmed that their NAS sucks!