News:

Main Menu

New Mac Pro

Started by Possum, June 11, 2013, 08:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

So whaddya' think?

I've seen a lot of griping, mostly because it's not any more configurable or upgradeable than the newer iMacs. Looks like Apple's going towards a totally disposable computer line. Anything you want to change or add must be taken care of by Thunderbolt.

Actually, I guess it's just going the modular route, although anybody with specialized cards or HDs will have to buy TB enclosures. Cables are our future. Also there's some flack about not being able to run some Adobe video apps because they won't run with the Mac Pro's video cards.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

First thought: It's sexy as hell & looks like way more of a beast than I'll ever need in my day-to-day life. I don't mind the lack of internal upgrades as you'd likely build one to spec for whatever your needs are, and anybody doing the kind of work those machines require already has external storage planned out. Thunderbolt 2.0 is going to make some of that obsolete I guess, but that's just the nature of hardware.

I don't know enough about the hardware (processor, GPU) to say it'll be any better/faster than a DIY hackintosh or even PC, but I'm relatively sure you can buy your own parts & get the same or faster from a Windows based rig. I know, it's not a Mac, but it sounds like a good portion of the video & rendering community already have done just that, having been ignored by Apple for what, 10 years or so now?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

The internal storage is all nice and fast but that also means expensive. Not having large internal storage is something I'm not happy about. It's nice that it's small and all but since I'll need at least an external drive to hold anything it looks like the desk is going to be quite cluttered.

Not being able run Adobe video apps while touting it's video editing prowess is a bit silly but that has never stopped apple before.

It is neat looking but co workers will be tossing garbage in it thinking it's a garbage can. Also, with no apple on the side how are the hipsters going to show off that they are cooler than you?

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

well, so far the webpage for the mac pro loads a completely black page with nothing on it. I'm impressed, it's so cool it comes with its own invisibility cloak.

I guess I can't start calling it the $5K Chunder Bucket yet.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Scroll or click the buttons on the side, the site setup sucks ass.

Must have been done in quark.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on June 11, 2013, 09:20:05 AMScroll or click the buttons on the side, the site setup sucks ass.

Must have been done in quark.

Those buttons must be magical Apple buttons that don't work on a 2 yr old $7K Mac Pro (this one) - our internet connection does suck here sometimes for some reason, but I swear I get just a black page. I guess I better go buy an iPhone 5 so I can order a Mac Pro via iTunes.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

My 5 year old Mac Pro has issues with the site but it works if you curse enough at it. Using Chrome BTW.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Works for me too. Same old ass MacPro, Chrome, 10.6.8 too. You did click on the "Learn More" text on the splash screen right?  :tongue:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on June 11, 2013, 10:04:02 AMWorks for me too. Same old ass MacPro, Chrome, 10.6.8 too. You did click on the "Learn More" text on the splash screen right?  :tongue:

firefox, no splash screen, just black. Oh well, I don't really care anyway. Last thing I need is more computers. Between actual boxes and VMs I have 4 in front of me.
vdp donkey

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Using Firefox and it loaded....takes a few seconds and is slow to run. Guess there's a bunch of folks at that page right now.  :laugh:

It's definitely an Apple product, who else does something like this.

Now the need to release a server that looks like a disco ball.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

T-Pat, this is what it looks like:

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

I suddenly see a future lawsuit being brought by the Fleshlight™ people...  :shocked:

gnubler

Quote from: Slappy on June 11, 2013, 12:18:19 PMI suddenly see a future lawsuit being brought by the Fleshlight™ people...  :shocked:

...proudly assembled in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

I bet the Apple Store will be 800% more of a fucking surreal nightmare when this piece of shit hits the shelves.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

holy fuck, it's devil's tower with a dick hole.

vdp donkey