Modem Computer Tag Font

Started by Slappy, November 19, 2012, 10:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Somebody on one of my Mac boards found an old modem signal carrier thingy and it has this tag on it:

Anybody seen a font like that around?

Here's the whole unit:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/430620/Acoustic_Coupler.jpg
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

dubstep

I doubt you'll find that exact font.

Here are some similar fonts: Data 70, Countdown, Bitwise

Ad from 1978 Computerworld Magazine:

Cool piece of equipment

DigiCorn

I had this setup as a kid, sans the modem. I think my parents paid over $1,000 for all this stuff in 1980

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 20, 2012, 10:09:20 AMI had this setup as a kid, sans the modem. I think my parents paid over $1,000 for all this stuff in 1980

don't know what makes me more jealous, the fact that a) you had a computer in 1980, or b) you had parents, or c) they actually had $1000 that they didn't already blow on drugs and hookers. :thumbsup:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Actually, I think I got it more in like '81 or '82. We got it at a store called "Consumers." It was a weird store. They had like 50 products only - whatever was trendy at the time, and each one was mounted to the wall, and under it was a number. You walked in, looked at the wall, went up to the register and said, "give me a number 32."

We got just the computer part at first - that was around $300-400. The Speech Synthesizer was free - you had to buy a game and then mail in the UPC code to get it. The "box" portion was the big money item. It was around $500, and had an RS232 controller "card" (needed for the modem and/or printer), and a 5.25" floppy disk drive, and the disk controller "card." The "cards" were about 6" tall, about 8" deep and about an inch and a half thick. Each "card" weighed a couple pounds. The box had the noisiest fan ever.

The TI-99 4a was the first computer on the retail market to have a 16K of memory (most at that time had 4-8k). Laster, I did a bunch of chores and saved allowance to spend $99 (was originally $199) on a 32K expansion card.

My parents weren't rich, but the school I went to had that same computer, so they thought I should have one at home too. They never did any drugs, but my Dad was an alchy. He liked Gin.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I had a 5.25" disk drive for my old TRS-80. That thing was a large rectangular box that weighed about 50 lbs. I think it cost me about $300.00 at the time. :zounds: :yuck2:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

DigiCorn

I thought you had better technology at your shop, Joe. You still using that old thing?  :old:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I remember those from junior high.

Our "computer science" class was sooo freakin' boring in 1988. Nice monochrome screen and entering line commands. :yawn:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 20, 2012, 01:47:32 PMI thought you had better technology at your shop, Joe. You still using that old thing?  :old:

Only the latest for us. Only takes 3,401 5.25" floppies to hold 1 job. :whip:

Slappy

Quote from: dubstep on November 20, 2012, 10:04:41 AMI doubt you'll find that exact font.

Here are some similar fonts: Data 70, Countdown, Bitwise
NIce! Data 70 & Bitwise are pretty close - good eye!  :goodpost:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on November 20, 2012, 01:29:05 PMI had a 5.25" disk drive for my old TRS-80. That thing was a large rectangular box that weighed about 50 lbs. I think it cost me about $300.00 at the time. :zounds: :yuck2:

Same here Joe, but I had the deluxe twin 5.25 model.  Ahh the good ole days.  :old:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Quote from: Diddler on November 20, 2012, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: Joe on November 20, 2012, 01:29:05 PMI had a 5.25" disk drive for my old TRS-80. That thing was a large rectangular box that weighed about 50 lbs. I think it cost me about $300.00 at the time. :zounds: :yuck2:

Same here Joe, but I had the deluxe twin 5.25 model.  Ahh the good ole days.  :old:

Though I hate banks, along with most, I harbour a tiny soft spot for the bank that refused me a loan in '83 to buy an Osborne 'luggable'. So I could  'learn computing and a bit of programming'.   :embarrassed:  Am forever indebted to them.    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.