News:

Main Menu

Asking for fonts

Started by Joe, June 16, 2010, 08:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I need to ask everyone NOT to create posts asking if others have a certain font or even asking in existing threads. While I know it can be very convenient it is also illegal and I don't need the font police showing up at the B4Print doorstep.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Lumpy

Oooooh, Some people are in trouble.
Is it some kind of fine or a brief stint in the House of Many Doors?
Has anyone ever really gotten in trouble for this type of of thing?   Just wondering.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

frailer

Well, not much wondering to do.   b4p is a public forum.   Given a stationary target, I'm sure there are a few of the bigger foundries with the motivation to pursue it if they saw the right opportunity.
Fill in the missing episodes, with ad breaks, yourself.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Lumpy

Seriously though, is their a fine if a person gets busted.
I don't know anyone who has ever been busted for this kind of thing or pirated apps.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

David

yep, they were in Dallas a few years back and busted a few printers for illegal fonts and software.
I personally was stunned, believing it (the font police) to be an urban legend.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Yeah, I knew better.

My bad.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

10 lashes with a wet noodle!

arrrrrrg!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Next time I'll just PM everyone and ask individually  :evil:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

G_Town

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigiCorn

Quote from: G_Town on June 17, 2010, 10:12:55 AMIt was a few years back but I remember software companies make a major offensive.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/124377/us_companies_fined_for_using_illegal_software.html
Way back at an ad agency I worked for a disgruntled fired employee ratted us out to someone about installing multiple versions of Illustrator, PhotoShop, etc with only a single license. Some auditors came out and had us install a piece of software and then print out what we had installed and a list of serial numbers. Essentially, we only did it on his computer so he could preview layouts. It was OS7 or 8 at the time, and we were constantly annoyed by the license issue because when he had it open, we couldn't open ours because of the popup ('this application is already installed and running on another computer on the network'). We were happy to remove the install, and the auditors didn't make a big deal out of it; I don't even think we were fined.

Around the same time, my roommate took our cable box to someone who put a chip in it that got use free movies channels and pay-per-view. Right before a Tyson fight, the cable company sent out a bullet, but the bullet destroyed good boxes as well as illegal ones. They ended up visiting each customer and replaced their set top box. Later I got served with papers in a lawsuit by the cable co. for having unlawfully altering my box. I could pay them $2,500 and they'd drop the charges or face them in court and maybe have to pay up to $25,000. I chose to ignore it, and nothing ever came of it. Never showed up on my credit report. Never appeared as a judgement against me. Never got a notice to appear.

I think they immediately filed documents, so they could pursue later... but then they caught so many people, and had so much paperwork, they just gave up. Either that or they sold out to another cable co., who did nothing with the suit.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on June 16, 2010, 08:00:06 PMI need to ask everyone NOT to create posts asking if others have a certain font or even asking in existing threads. While I know it can be very convenient it is also illegal and I don't need the font police showing up at the B4Print doorstep.

Guilty here. No problem Joe.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 17, 2010, 12:05:43 PM
Quote from: Joe on June 16, 2010, 08:00:06 PMI need to ask everyone NOT to create posts asking if others have a certain font or even asking in existing threads. While I know it can be very convenient it is also illegal and I don't need the font police showing up at the B4Print doorstep.

Guilty here.

FONT THIEF!! BURN HIM!!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, well I've given a lot more than I've got, so burn me from both ends.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 17, 2010, 12:11:13 PMYeah, well I've given a lot more than I've got, so burn me from both ends.

... but beware of the blue flame that will emanate from one of them?  :laugh: