Adding a UV end of press set up

Started by beermonster, March 30, 2009, 06:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

wow - I don't get in this part of the forum much - it's a bit dusty down here....

ok - on topic

we are looking into adding an end of press only UV set up, to our 2 x komori lithrone 40's.

yes - we know some issues with trapping <press trap not prepress> and a few other issues, but my question is:

anyone done this to same/similar presses?
who did u use?
how much <had to be in there somewhere eh>
pro/cons?
ease?

thanks in advance :cheesy:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

beck

We only have UV coating on our Flexo press, not Offset. 

There are NO trapping issues when it comes to building our Flexo plates.

Not much help, but I'll throw in my two cents (or is it two shillings across the pond?)

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

beermonster

hehe thanks beck - it can be shillings, pence or whatever you like :cheesy:

the trap issue is putting uv varnish onto un-cured ink sheets - there's colour issues n stuff. sure we can allow to cure then go thru press again a day later - that has financial knock-ons and isn't a good idea. currently all sub contracted out.

and thanks - reminded me - forgot to mention 5 colour litho sheet fed

DigitalCrapShoveler

Since I am a lowly Prepress Trench-Worker... it will be difficult to comment on price, but the rest I can help out. I am running late to Prison Check-In, but when I get in I shall share what I know.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

cheers mate- no rush as am going home in precisely 31 mins :)

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, now that I am finally in Prison... 2 HOURS to get to work. Some goddamn accident. I hate driving!

Anyway, whatever... Beer, about 3 years ago my company bought an 8 color 4/4 Perfector Press with inline UV and Dryer. At first it was a novelty to customers, but after about a year, it really took off. We do a LOT of spot UV. We actually purchased an automatic blanket cutter. Basically, it is a proofer, but instead of a print head, it has a blade. The blankets are heavy gauge rubber, that peel like a sticker. We have gotten over 200 K impressions on one blanket.

Last year, because of the packaging boom as of late, we acquired an additional press with inline Aqueous and Dryer, 4/2 Perfector. It is on this press, Mitsubishi, BTW, that we do most of our packaging on now. We spot aqueous EVERY packaging job, so that means I get to build glue knock-outs and Spot UV cut-outs. Extremely fun and very puts me in a wonderful mood.

Before the 6/2 Mitsu, we had a Komori 6C. It also had inline Aqueous and Dryer. I really don't think they would ever go back. Definitely worth the additional cost. We are one of 2 outfits in Tulsa ond OKC combined that oiffer this service.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

cool cheers mate

yeah i do all the ink/varnish free areas too - everythin u mentioned is daily here - well - when we got some work in!

simple cuts are done on the stripping blanket on press - we do sometimes make a varnish plate (for a high gloss or whatever) and we dont use cyrells either. we could if we wished cut blankets on our zund plotter/cad - but we get around it.

for envelope work - well any really, we put varnish spots so they run a few sheets up and cut the blanket to the spots - then delete spots from plate if they fall on artwork anywhere - make sense?

got a quote in of approx £60k sterling - might give us a 5 yr return, so we'll be looking at it. thing is without inline UV interdecking we either uv onto wet <trap issues> or run as second pass <££££>. We cant afford the full uv interdeck conversion <in area of £200k sterling> we can only justify, when we do the sums, an end of press set up.

also we'd have to change chemistry on press, plates, pre-press (and gumming/clean out unit) if we did the whole shooting match.

it's a tough call on a 5 col press.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I know the UV Press we got had to change inks. They are using a hybrid ink that works well with Spot UV and perfecting. It took them about 6 months to get it all dialed in, but pretty good results so far.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

oh hell mate it'd have to be running perfectly here from the off - or they'll send me packing! then i'll be on ya doorstep looking to help with all that packaging stuff u got!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: beermonster on March 30, 2009, 11:00:04 AMoh hell mate it'd have to be running perfectly here from the off - or they'll send me packing! then i'll be on ya doorstep looking to help with all that packaging stuff u got!

Hahahahahahaha, then you better keep up with this shit, huh? I'm still learning myself.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

puts prepress ahead of the game - ALWAYS learning