Quark has left the room!

Started by hotmetal, September 24, 2008, 06:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmetal

Our last Quark-using client has gone to InDesign! Admittedly, we've been lucky around here all along. This department has never seen a Pagemaker file. Never. There was one national client 8 or 9 years ago using Publisher generated epses, but they've gone away. Imagine 12 foot banners done in Publisher... with low-res rgb jpegs... I had their logo in vector stashed on my drive, but if one of the day side guys got the job first, they just used what they were handed. (Nothing has changed there in the last 9 years... just some new chairs... )

This one Quark holdout messed around with the transparency gimmick in Q7 for a bit, which enabled us to get the boss to max out the RAM on our G5s (yes, going from 4GB to 8 allowed us to deal with the drop shadows, believe it or not), then they tried doing a couple jobs totally in Photoshop. Now, quietly, without fanfare, an entire campaign comes in using InDesign! Whooo Hooo! There is a god!

:dancer:
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Mazeltov, mate!    Woo-hoo.

BTW, I lurv the RAM story. Nice little silver lining... :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

It's nice, isn't it? Except for when the Indy files come in looking like they've been done in Publisher. (see my thread "I found it" with the rainbow gradients and puzzle piece patterns.)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ratintrap

Quote from: hotmetal on September 24, 2008, 06:55:43 PMThis department has never seen a Pagemaker file. Never.

By the way hotmetal, I forgot to tell you that the company I work for is thinking about switching to your company for printing. :shocked:

. . . Just Kidding. :cheesy:

Quote from: hotmetal on September 24, 2008, 06:55:43 PMThere was one national client 8 or 9 years ago using Publisher generated epses, but they've gone away. Imagine 12 foot banners done in Publisher... with low-res rgb jpegs...

:puke2:

There is a billboard in the town I work in and I'm pretty sure it was designed in Power Point, it's for a car dealership who advertises with us who designs their print ads with Power Point.

Quote from: gnubler on September 24, 2008, 08:52:45 PMIt's nice, isn't it? Except for when the Indy files come in looking like they've been done in Publisher.

I've seen that kind of thing too.

-Rat

frailer

Thought I'd tack this on here. Doesn't really warrant a thread; but sorta topical to this thread.    :evil:

Always of interest when a Q employee raises their head above the parapet. At the risk of sounding like a grizzled schoolmaster, don't forget required etiquette for identifiable b4p members on other fora. {"forums" if you weren't forced to do Latin for 3 years... :laugh: }. It's a cruzin' FYI only.   :window:    Setting up a Gatling Gun is prolly a waste of time and effort anyway. BTW, I nearly wept during the week when our "head" deziner reiterated her distaste for the inadequate way Indy handles "Type editing". She[they] will keep using Q; [never leave your comfort zone!]. The question of re-vamped legacy jobs was also raised. If they ever go to the effort of trying to get Q7 to work again, I think I may actually retire, or slash my wrists. Seeing as I can't afford to retire yet, looks like the wrists'll cop it...     :rolleyes:

Quark Staff reply
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Chelle

Congrats, Hotmetal! I am sloooooooooooooooooooowly being able to change anything Quacky over to Indy as I have "downtime". It's wonderful - especially now that we are running Prinergy.

I get LOTS of questions about Quack from the other people I work with as, apparently, I am the Quack "expert". When I started, I used it all the time because it was the only program I had at the place I came from. (I was a Corporate Marketing Director, which also consisted of me being the desinger, for a franchise company.) Now, I hardly use it at all.
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Joe

Quote from: frailer on January 11, 2009, 04:42:16 AMThought I'd tack this on here. Doesn't really warrant a thread; but sorta topical to this thread.    :evil:

Always of interest when a Q employee raises their head above the parapet. At the risk of sounding like a grizzled schoolmaster, don't forget required etiquette for identifiable b4p members on other fora. {"forums" if you weren't forced to do Latin for 3 years... :laugh: }. It's a cruzin' FYI only.   :window:    Setting up a Gatling Gun is prolly a waste of time and effort anyway. BTW, I nearly wept during the week when our "head" deziner reiterated her distaste for the inadequate way Indy handles "Type editing". She[they] will keep using Q; [never leave your comfort zone!]. The question of re-vamped legacy jobs was also raised. If they ever go to the effort of trying to get Q7 to work again, I think I may actually retire, or slash my wrists. Seeing as I can't afford to retire yet, looks like the wrists'll cop it...     :rolleyes:

Quark Staff reply

Quark responding is a positive development. Responding that their product is broken and the fix is to upgrade to the next broken version is something else though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2009, 09:09:11 AMQuark responding is a positive development. Responding that their product is broken and the fix is to upgrade to the next broken version is something else though.

Long simmering sarcasm suits you so well, Joe!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on January 11, 2009, 11:24:28 AM
Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2009, 09:09:11 AMQuark responding is a positive development. Responding that their product is broken and the fix is to upgrade to the next broken version is something else though.

I hear Quark 17 might support transparency! :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2009, 11:40:10 AM
Quote from: hotmetal on January 11, 2009, 11:24:28 AM

I hear Quark 17 might support transparency! :tongue:

Short, sharp sarcasm suits as well...     :laugh: