File for "foiling"

Started by frailer, November 21, 2008, 07:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

In Indy, I would Export to PDF "Visible Layer", in this inst. a Spot image for hot foil by a finisher. This one Quark.
-method 1. Export (for later Distilling, now my preferred exit from Q). Then delete unwanted from page with PSP, do a Save As, to "clean it up".
-method 2. (maybe...I didn't try this). Copy Q doc to new file. Delete unwanted links. Re-link pic. (for foil). Export.

Anyone got any better ways? For next time?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

WharfRat

In Indy, I would Export to PDF "Visible Layer", in this inst. a Spot image for hot foil by a finisher. This one Quark.
-method 1. Export (for later Distilling, now my preferred exit from Q). Then delete unwanted from page with PSP, do a Save As, to "clean it up".
-method 2. (maybe...I didn't try this). Copy Q doc to new file. Delete unwanted links. Re-link pic. (for foil). Export.
--
I generally create foil files from my imposition station so I have the multiple ups.
For a single - from Quark -
can you just print to file as separations selecting just the foil plate
then distill?

MSD

frailer

QuoteFor a single - from Quark -
can you just print to file as separations selecting just the foil plate
then distill?

Hmmm. Might try that too. It would just go through my same .ps>Distill output, but I'd get a PDF with just the Spot silver (aka "Foil"), correct?

I always like extra ways to skin the cat...sorry any cat-lovers out there... :undecided:

Am in Q6.52 BTW, not 7.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

beermonster

well we do this a lot here.

its easy in indy - as you know - illy too.

quack isnt exactly complex either

print seps to file - exactly as wharf sad

your method of copying quack file to new document - naa ya dont need to mate. just do whatever to the quack file, if this is a method of choice, export whatever crap pdf you can - but dont save.

quack sucks
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Tracy

interesting, I alway save as an eps for a foil, I have no idea why.

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on November 24, 2008, 08:23:59 AMinteresting, I alway save as an eps for a foil, I have no idea why.

Actually, I send both now. The time before last, the finishers tripped up on some font "issue" with the PDF.   :huh:   Passed muster my end, before I sent it. I think they were a little "behind the times".    :grin:

frailer

Have time to "play" with Export of Separations. Screenshots show Distiller settings. Have re-started Distiller. Getting PDFX-1a non-compliance error message, (see screenshots). Am just using, to keep it simple, a non-Standards-compliant custom setting.
Cannot see error referred to, in Quark. Do I need to dump prefs or summin? Not critical, just interferred with "play", but may matter some way down the track...

Joe

Sounds like it found more than 4 (CMYK) separations. 7 in fact.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

OK, printing to Seps isn't my strong point. Separations in this area literally means  the 4 process cols., correct?  I thought I'd also tried DeviceN. Thought I'd get what I need from that. But why the PDFX-1a thing creeping in...when I hadn't set that? Tinkering is learning, but I think I'll sleep on it...
My relatively short career in dig. prepress means I've never really had to wrestle with seps from Quark before.
I wonder whether it's worth pursuing this, when it can easily be achieved in PitStop...getting to the "foil" stage.     :undecided:

Joe

Are you sure you are using the job options named "Press Quality_ZIP" because according to the report you are using a "PDFX ISO="15930 -1:2001" profile. The C"COMPLIANT=False" means that it failed in the PDFX1A job option. If it passes it would read "<PDFX ISO="15930-1:2001" COMPLIANT="true">". If you run the PDF through job option that is not a PDF X compliant job option the line that reads "<PDFX ISO="15930-1:2001" COMPLIANT="true or False">" does not show. What is the default in Distiller here?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on November 26, 2008, 01:35:12 AMAre you sure you are using the job options named "Press Quality_ZIP" because according to the report you are using a "PDFX ISO="15930 -1:2001" profile.

...yep, that's the bit I don't get. Definitely, according to my Distiller Setting, I am (using Press Qual...). Prolly something silly. Shall tinker tomorrow.   

frailer

OK, finally got separations printed, using plain old Press Quality. Must have been picking up embedded info in the other "tweaked"/custom profiles. Maybe.

Or just another of those mysteries.

Interesting exercise, though. Haven't really had to deal with seps too much until now. Could be handy at some stage...if the time comes.