News:

Main Menu

Quark 8

Started by Joe, April 20, 2009, 03:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Installed it last week. Installation went okay other than the 47 digit validation code I had to type in. Had my first Quark 8 job Friday night. No font problems. No link problems. Everything was flawless. I should have bought a lottery ticket over the weekend but forgot to. :undecided:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on April 20, 2009, 03:37:05 PMInstalled it last week. Installation went okay other than the 47 digit validation code I had to type in. Had my first Quark 8 job Friday night. No font problems. No link problems. Everything was flawless. I should have bought a lottery ticket over the weekend but forgot to. :undecided:

Ya forgot...it's set to act up a 'ornery 7 days after install.     :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

that's the way it does it Joe.
sucks you into thinking that all the world is rosy and nothing but unicorns and rainbows...

then out of the blue, it smacks you upside the head and calls you funny names.

:tongue:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

almaink

So tell us Joe, can it now export a transparent PDF, or is it still a postscript only application, with transparency you can't really use?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: almaink on April 21, 2009, 06:56:08 AMSo tell us Joe, can it now export a transparent PDF, or is it still a postscript only application, with transparency you can't really use?

Transparency in Quark? You must be dreaming. I've learned to have lower expectations with Quark. :wink: But on this one job it met my lowered expectations.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on April 20, 2009, 03:37:05 PMInstalled it last week. Installation went okay other than the 47 digit validation code I had to type in. Had my first Quark 8 job Friday night. No font problems. No link problems. Everything was flawless. I should have bought a lottery ticket over the weekend but forgot to. :undecided:

Too little, too late. We haven't had a new Quark job in in more than a year now. Even the pickup jobs we see run all InDesign or Illustrator.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on April 21, 2009, 03:42:14 PM

Too little, too late. We haven't had a new Quark job in in more than a year now. Even the pickup jobs we see run all InDesign or Illustrator.

We still have a few holdouts so we had to get a copy of the latest version. I'm not saying I love it or anything. :tongue:

born2print

Same here Joe, just a few users out there still.
I can say that I've been using it for a few months and 8 seems better that 7... but that's not saying much is it?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

David

I haven't used Q8 that much myself, but I have noticed my hatred of Q7 is even worse now. That crap will just refuse to print to a laser printer, it won't make a stinkin' pdf file, it's just a bloated POS.

but, Q8 isn't that bad...
I have actually gotten it to print AND make a pdf file.

I think I have 2 copies here of Q8, about 4 copies of Q7, not looking to get anymore of either.
I did put in an order today for two more copies of the Adobe CS4 suite, looking forward to that bloated install.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

ok kinda ON topic <whoa there hector> i dont have 8 yet. so far i've had ONE 8 file which we got backsaved - cant justify the upgrade cost

mind u aint got cs4 for same reason yet either.

my 7 wont rip either (xitron navi psl3 saldy) - i have to pdf out - then into indy and pray quack made a decent pdf (yea yea yea we check it)
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

born2print

If you got 1 seat of 8, you'd have it a little easier. As opposed to previous policy where there's been reason not to presume to open older docs in newer apps and convert, with Quack we now open all in 8 and life's a little sweater for it.
Oh, I'm losing my fondness for CS4 quickly, CS3 was better IMO.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Not sure if it applies in the merry ol' UK beer but Quark has a special right now where you can upgrade to 8 from any version for $299 US. That's we we got and it's a LOT better than 6 or 7 as others have stated.

beermonster

yeah joe there's some special offer on - truth is i dont want quack anymore - but i have to - so i'll put it off til i'm desperate

Captain_Type

They also have a 60-day "test drive" going, so you can see if it's worth the cost.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

beermonster

i know its not....but thanks for that - i didnt know :cheesy: