Colour conversion

Started by frailer, June 05, 2009, 12:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

I was a bit slack on this one; shall be more careful next time. Quack job from in-house. Usual pig-in-a-poke. Usually I go through and convert Spot Colours via Edit Colors etc...
Guy had left 2 main colours as Spot. When I did my usual .ps for later Distilling>Watched Folder caper, I made sure to have cmyk as Output. Seemed to work OK.
But... and there's always a but, he had to supply me 2 pages redone with some fancy typesetting...(he's an old 'setter), which I did not fancy re-doing. When he emailed the PDFs they had the Spots in them. But to convert in PSP was ugly, and didn't match the other 54 pages.
So...I get him to re-.ps, making sure he's set his output to cmyk. Still Spots.. :angry:. After another phone call he goes back into Q and converts his Spots via Edit Colors. Now back in line.
My question after this short story is:
-would Q be using the same Spot>cmyk conversion at .ps/Output as the Edit Colours route? I assume yes.

Also, what is the painless way of him sending me those 2 Quack pages instead. More to the point, what is the best way for me to replace those 2 in the Q doc.? (The more detail, the better   :cheesy: )That woulda been preferred option, right?    :undecided:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

Cap'n sir :grin:

ok - first off - if you have imported images in quack that have spot colours, you need to change those graphics to process ok - NOT via the edit colours - quack can seriously screw files if you do it your way - BUT if the elements that are spot are generated thru quack then no problems

ok - 2 things

he can supply the quack pages and graphics - open yours and his, view as thumbnails, group and drag from one doc to other- just watch for runaround or text reflows - and if there's linked text you're screwed
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

No, no images. These were Quack-generated.

Say, if he supplied me those two pages as a 2pp doc., could I open both original and his, then drag each of the two thumbnails over the target pages? Basic question, but, if I don't ask...won't find out.   :cheesy:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

beermonster

yep should work - if not open both, group one page, copy paste - voila done :grin:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

mattbeals

Edit color literally "edits" the color. When you converting to CMYK you are passing the objects through the color management engine.

In PitStop Pro it's easy to change the spot colors to match the existing conversions so that everything matches up.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

G_Town

Matches up to what?

and doesn't edit mean to change?

Sorry morning Saturday and still drunk.

Stiv

So you selected the spot and tried to convert to CMYK with an action to CMYK defined color and it did not work? Or did you just select the spot and select change to CMYK based on conversion preferences?

Quote from: frailer on June 05, 2009, 12:31:42 AMI was a bit slack on this one; shall be more careful next time. Quack job from in-house. Usual pig-in-a-poke. Usually I go through and convert Spot Colours via Edit Colors etc...
Guy had left 2 main colours as Spot. When I did my usual .ps for later Distilling>Watched Folder caper, I made sure to have cmyk as Output. Seemed to work OK.
But... and there's always a but, he had to supply me 2 pages redone with some fancy typesetting...(he's an old 'setter), which I did not fancy re-doing. When he emailed the PDFs they had the Spots in them. But to convert in PSP was ugly, and didn't match the other 54 pages.
So...I get him to re-.ps, making sure he's set his output to cmyk. Still Spots.. :angry:. After another phone call he goes back into Q and converts his Spots via Edit Colors. Now back in line.
My question after this short story is:
-would Q be using the same Spot>cmyk conversion at .ps/Output as the Edit Colours route? I assume yes.

Also, what is the painless way of him sending me those 2 Quack pages instead. More to the point, what is the best way for me to replace those 2 in the Q doc.? (The more detail, the better   :cheesy: )That woulda been preferred option, right?    :undecided:

frailer

Stiv, I've repented and slapped my wrist on this one. next time I'll check his Spots etc.! (No DCS, I don't need reminding again).
So, what happened was not so bad, really. When I did the "create .ps for later Distilling", my tried and tested route for these guys, I chose CMYK from the Output box, in "Options". The job looked fine, all CMYK.
But, when he supplied me 2 PDF replacement pages last minute, they were full of Spots. I asked him to re-do them, making sure he had chosen the CMYK in Quack Output, (not DeviceN). He claims he did that, but they still turned up Spots-present on email#2.
Finally, he sent me 2 PDFs which were effectively the same as my Distills.
Long and short of it; I think he was bull-shitting about choosing CMYK on the #2 ones.   :undecided:  Doesn't help when people aren't up-front about stuff.   :angry:

Once again, a warning for next time.

BTW, someone might like to confirm that by choosing CMYK, Spots created in Q should be edited/changed. But, any Spots "nested" in EPSs etc,. won't be, I assume. This I dealt with in the first inst. by running the appropriate EAL on the whole doc.
Sorry about the short story. 

Chelle

Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Stiv

Quote from: Chelle on June 06, 2009, 06:43:10 PMQuark sucks. :angry:

On this we can all agree.  :laugh: :grin: :angel: :sad: :angry: :cry: