Problem with generating PDF from .ps file in Distiller

Started by metlife, January 24, 2018, 01:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabney

It may help in another way. It is conceivable to fix the postscript file by stripping out the subsets and embedding a full version of the font. I haven't had to work on a .ps file in quite some time, but I am willing to give it a shot. If we are only dealing with this one font issue, and it is the same issue every time. But I would need a copy of the .ps file in order to even begin to try.

metlife

Hello all
@Wonderings @pabney
I do not know, unfortunately, in which program this .ps file is generated. In our company, the implementation department received such a file from the client and because they could not deal with it, they sent it to me. Unfortunately, the privacy policy in our company does not allow me to forward this file, because it contains confidential data of target customers. Certainly, I can't outline all the fonts because then our devices will not be able to use the file search modules to add appropriate control codes to the appropriate client. So far, there have been no problems with the files from this client, and now suddenly one file has crashed. Even a new file has the same error. I run Distiller on the Windows platform. I will check if the method with embedding the whole font will solve the problem. From what I see, the implementation department in our company processes such a file through "iText 2.1.7". Perhaps the solution would also be updating the modules in this application "iText 2.1.7"? As I mentioned earlier, for now the only proven way is to substitute fonts in individual files from the Pitstop level. Then combining such files into one large one and generating a .ps file. Then everything works, but we have a lot of such files, and I would not do anything else but to "heal" files.
@Joe
I've already tried this method with embedding the entire font in the Distiller you gave. Unfortunately, it also did not help.
@Farabomb
I also often meet with the fact that the graphic agency does not attach all things to the project. Especially since you can include fonts by saving the package in Indesign. Unfortunately, in the environment in which I turn, no one does it.

wonderings

Always makes it more difficult when they are not using a standard for creating their files. I looked at iTexts website and I cannot even figure out what the software is used for or why anyone producing files for print would need iText when the industry standards work perfectly well.

No solution for you, all I would do is go back to the customer and say we cannot use the file you provided, please resend as a PDF and give the specs you need. Looks like you will just be wasting your time trying to solve this when there is possibly no solution for it as is.

metlife

I think the topic can be ended. As I mentioned earlier, I am saved by Pitstop at the moment, but we sent the client comments on how to prepare .pdf and .ps files. I devoted so much time to this topic as I could and I treated it more as a curiosity that can be solved and somehow some solution and conclusions were drawn. Thank you very much for your time and attention.

I would only have a question outside the subject. Do you know any free application in which you could modify the pdf file? I mean cutting to any size, it would be the main function of such an application and possibly checking the color separation.

Regards and have a nice day  ;)